Push Tri-X for Platinum?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Edward, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Edward

Edward Member

Jan 5, 2004
    Hello. I'm fairly new at platinum printing. I'm contacting printing 8x10 negs. I've had some success, but I ran across a situation where I was doing available light portraits, and there wasn't enough light available. And then I wondered: Why not just expose them 600 or 800?
    My basic method so far has been this: txp metered at 200, tray developed in xtol 1:1. (I'm not using pyro for a number of reasons). B&S NA2 pt/pd kit.
    In smaller formats and silver enlargements, the disadvantages of pushing are grain and contrast, right? But isn't it true that neither is a factor with a platinum contact print? Sometimes I wonder if the increased contrast of a slight push might even have some benefits. Anyone tried it? Anyone have suggestions for a good general starting E.I. for tri-x intended for platinum? And what of shadow detail? It's not nearly as important in these portraits as it would be in a landscape, but it would be nice to have some detail, say, on the dark side of a side-lit face.
    Also, I should mention that I'm not one of those who believes an 8x10 portrait needs to be shot at f45. I've been pleasantly surprised to find I could get a fairly sharp image at f8, and I actually like the very narrow dof. So if the consensus is that I need to keep shooting tri-x at E.I. 200 or 320, I'll be able to make it work.
    Thanks much for the patience with a platinum rookie!