Pushing Film - Newbie Question

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by zenrhino, Jan 27, 2005.

1. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an orchestral performance to shoot for school this weekend, and along with the pixelgraphs the newspaper wants, I decided to shoot some film as well.

I have HP5+ rolled up and ready to go, so my question is this:

Do I expose it at (800, 1600, whatever speed) and develop it at that speed (according to the big chart) or shoot it at 400 (rated speed) and develop it at the higher speed?

Thanks!

2. kaiyen

kaiyen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You shoot it at the speed you need (say, 1600), and develop it for the time indicated for an EI of 1600. (the first of your scenarios).

One thing to consider is that HP5 will go hyper-contrasty pretty quickly. Even at 1600 in Microphen the shadows are almost nonexistent. Using a push-unfriendly developer would probably make it worse (but I have never tried HP5 @ EI>400 in anything other than staright Microphen).

I can look up my dev time in Microphen for 1600 if you want.

allan

3. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Send a Personal Message to TPPhotog and ask for his advice. He pushes HP5+ all the time.

Morten

4. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I push HP5 all the time to 1600 - I use Xtol or PC-TEA (same time and result) The Toe survives very well - Grain is not as bad as 3200 film - only slightly grainier than HP5 at 400. The key is Vitamin C. Good for you - good for your negs!