pushing Tri-x 1 stop

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jgcull, Mar 19, 2008.

1. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

I can't find where it was said, but seems someone said to you can get good results shooting Tri-x at 800 without adjusting the developing time from normal for 400. Has that been anyone's experience?

I have 1 roll shot at 400 and one at 800. I can process them separately, obviously, but if it's not necessary I'd rather get them both done at once. Can this really be so?

Phototec shows quite a difference in developing times, by the way. (Surely that's for a reason! :tongue:) Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

2. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

Oops. Should have said, I guess, I'll be using D76 1:1.

I do also have a new bottle of HC110. If there's an easy way to mix that for dilution H without making a huge stock bottle, I can. I've never done it from syrup, but I think I've got a baby medicine dropper around here somewhere. I like dilution H w/Tri-x, but the d76 is fine, too. And it's ready.

3. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear jgcull,

This may be the quote you were looking for. It is from the Tri-X data sheet.

"Because of these films’ exposure latitude, you can
    underexpose by one stop and use normal processing times.
    Prints will show a slight loss in shadow detail."

Neal Wydra

4. PVia

PVia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I last used HC110 Dilution B for 5 minutes at 68 degrees for Tri-X rated at 800, small tank, 120 film. Negatives were great and printed very well on Grade 2.

HC110 dilutions are easy from syrup. Dilution B is 1:31...one part syrup to 31 parts water. Take your total liquid in your tank (mine is 450ml) and divide by 32. The result is 14, and that's the amount of ml of syrup you use. Subtract 14 from 450 and get 436ml, which is the amount of water you use. Total liquid is 450ml.

Dilution H is 1:63, so divide total liquid by 64...very easy.

Use the data sheet for times and temps...and double Dil B times to get Dil H times.

5. photoGrant

photoGrant Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did just this the other day, no problems what so ever, aside from a little shadow detail loss.

6. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    up the development time 15% -

7. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tend to up the development time, too. I use x-tol though, but D-76 should push the film just fine.

8. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

Thanks, guys! (and Suzanne :smile:) I decided to process them separately to be safe.

Janet