Pyro and ????

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by markbau, Apr 16, 2009.

1. markbau

markbau Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just getting back into B&W film after a long break. I was using Verichrome pan with PMK pyro but have found out that Verichrome went the way of the dodo. My question is to any PMK pyro users, what film are you using and any comments about. I've also noticed that a new version of pyro is available now, I think its called 510 or something, what is the difference between it and PMK, just trying to adjust to the new lay of the land in black and white land so sorry if these questions seem a bit strange.

Thanks

Mark

2. weasel

weasel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    pmk pyro and acros has become my standard.

3. Philippe Grunchec

Philippe Grunchec Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Plus X is very similar to Verichrome Pan!

4. takef586

takef586 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. gainer

gainer Subscriber

The PMK of Gordon Hutchings is now improved, but still called PMK with perhaps an additional character to identify it. I have some in my darkroom, but it's too far for me to get to it right now.

6. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want to use Pyro, FP4+ and Pyrocat... delicious. But that's just one man's ceiling and another man's floor. FP4+ is similar to Plus-X which, by an earlier account, is similar to Verichrome Pan. PMK - if you used it before and you liked it, why not use it again!

7. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pyrocat HD with FP4+, Fomapan 200, or Tmax 400 (all very different films, but for distinct purposes).

8. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    510 Pyro is a mix yourself developer, but it is real nice with Tri-x. I get full box speed.

The formula is here in the articles section.

Mike

9. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PMK Pyro and FP4+ or HP5+ are my combinations of choice.

gene

10. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favourite films with PMK:

Pan-F Plus (not much stain but gorgeous tonality)
    FP4 Plus
    Plus-X
    HP5 Plus
    Tri-X

I haven't had much luck with t-grain films in PMK, but others have. I still need to experiment.

Incidentally, technically, Pyrocat HD is not a pyro developer ("pyro" refers to pyrogallol; Pyrocat HD uses pyrogallol's cousin pyrocatechin), but the developers have some commonality.

I've stuck with PMK because I like the results and the stock solutions are near immortal (they keep at least seven years with my storage conditions), even when mixed in distilled water. No glycol is necessary.

11. pgomena

pgomena Member

My favorite films with PMK:
    Tri-X
    Acros

With Pyrocat HD:
    Acros

I'm still experimenting but like what I'm getting with these two developers.

Peter Gomena

12. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    IMHO which pyro developer works the best seems to have a lot to do with ones printing method. After trying a few, I settled on PMK, as it seems to offer advantages for the kind split contrast printing I use. I use it with most any film, and get great results. I tend to use HC110 for 35mm though. I don't find the stain to be a great advantage with small negs. I understand it can be for those who scan, but that's for another forum.

13. MVNelson

MVNelson Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    to take JB's point further the choice of pyro developers should relate to how you process your films, i.e . if by tray, deep tank, rotary mechanical or rotary in BTZS(or other) tubes. Some pyro dev.s have greater sensitivity to aerial oxidation which heavily influences stains, useful dev. times, and evenness of development. Lastly , pyros like prescysol-ef. pyrocat-mc(or hd), can do some especially great things in stand or semi-stand development. My favorite for most film is 100/400 TMax in prescysol-ef or pyrocat-mc (very similar) and Fp4 for special occasions.