pyrocat hd and the UK

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Chris Lee, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been using dixactol with some very good and also some very bad results! However since the supply has now dried up I would like to try Pyrocat HD, is it possible to obtain it premixed like dixactol, or will I have to mix it from rax chemicals? If it can be obtained in the UK,where? I think silverprint only stocks PMK.

Thanks.

2. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

3. Francesco

Francesco Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    No need to go outside Europe. Lotus View Camera in Austria supply Pyrocat HD in liquid kit form, and in quite handy, plastic bottles too (http://www.lotusviewcamera.at/). I have been buying from them since last year and found the quality to be superb and consistent. I believe they may have been the first to sell Pyrocat HD in liquid kit form, hence the quality of their product.

4. schambuk

schambuk Member

Chris,

I am in the UK and mix my own Pyrocat HD. I mix the Metol variant. Very easy to do and you can get everything you need from Rayco in the UK http://www.rayco-chemicals.co.uk/

5. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So far as I know Pyrocat-HD is not distributed in kit form in the UK. However, on the continent you can buy a kit from Lotus.

Sandy

6. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hi - it is me who buys pyrocat hd from michael maunders at speedibrews (www.speedibrews.co.uk)- he weighs and mixes up the dry chemicals for me to make into solution. email him if you're interested, he is very helpful.

7. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Moersch Tanol is a staining/tanning developer that should be not too different from pyrocat-hd as it also uses pyrocatechin in combination with a phenidon derivative.

Unfortunately as of today there is only a german description online but the sample-pictures are nevetheless interesting:

http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/bilder.php?galerie=tanol&bild=0

Stefan

8. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Stefan

Could one presume that in Moerch's photos the ones in which negative size is not specified are 35mm?

Thanks,

Jorge O

9. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jorge,

I would assume the square ones are 120 <g> as I know Wolgang Moersch uses a Hasselblad for part of his own work. Besides that I wouldn't assume anything but when I visited one of his seminars he showed me some 30x40cm prints from 35mm developed in tanol which looked quite convincing. Fine grain but a little less sharpness than I know is possible from this format. The latter can as well have its reason in technique as development. He btw. commented on my own pyrocat-negs that I should stick with my working combo (TMY in pyrocat 1+1+100) as it obviously shows the same benefits one can expect from his product. He expects very small differences.

An example of my own work printed during this workshop is shown here:
    http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/bilder.php?galerie=stefan kahlert&bild=1

best

Stefan