Pyrocat HD / Pan F Development

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Born2Late, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Born2Late

Born2Late Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've just begun to use Pyrocat HD Developer (PF in Glycol) and I am very pleased with it so far. The only thing I really don't like is the very limited list of film / developing times.

One that is missing from the list is Pan F.

Does anyone have any recommendations? If so please include temp. and agitation schedule used.

Thanks.

2. aleksmiesak

aleksmiesak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Born2Late

Born2Late Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. aleksmiesak

aleksmiesak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, I usually do semi-stand development with my pyrocatHD so I was planning on sticking with that.

5. damonff

damonff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use Pyrocat HD for stand developing, one hour. It has worked so far with all of my films from FK 25 all the way to Neopan 400.

6. Born2Late

Born2Late Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've never used stand development before and don't know much about the details.

Could I trouble you for the details; temperature, dilution, agitation (if any), etc?

Thanks.

7. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Agitation with Pyrocat is far less and has less dramatic effects than solvent developers. Typically, as a starting point with any film, I try 12 min, 72 f, with 30 second agitation out the gate, then 4 total agitations spread out over the period of the development accordingly. This is for 1:1:100. This means for 12 minutes, I do 30 sec agitation, then let stand till about 3:30, do 15 sec agitation, then wait till 7:00, then at 10 or something along those lines. Not nearly as critical.

Some films don't take as kindly, such as Foma films, so I bump it up to 2:2:100 at 10-12 minutes succesfuly, while Acros and Neopan from Fuji take the times listed above. I remember that when I played briefly with Pan F, that it was a longer development, but still 1:1:100. 14 minutes maybe? Shot at 50.

Here's an example from a handheld 6x9 taken in overcast. The actual print is way better, but you get the idea.

FinsInternet.jpg