Pyrocat-HD two bottles

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by wintoid, Apr 3, 2009.

1. wintoid

wintoid Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    With Diafine, I know I have to be ultra careful not to get any solution B into solution A. Do I have to be careful about anything with Pyrocat-HD? I ask because I use two syringes to put my A and B solutions into the mixing beaker, but I now don't know which syringe was A and which was B (labels can no longer be read).

In fact, would I be ok to use just 1 syringe?

Thanks

2. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Rinse out the syringes and make new labels.

3. John W

John W Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Adding to Pat's comment, it's not OK to use just one syringe. Pyrocat-HD's A stock solution can rapidly go off if contaminated with the B solution.

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am lazy- I use one syringe to draw off 10ml of A, then rinse by putting the syringe into the water and pull the plunger back and forth a few times to rinse. Ten I draw off the B, 20mL , and then rinse in clear water the same way a few times so the syringe is clean enoygh for A the nerxt time around. I believe that my A and B are to make a 500mL working solution; this is from memory here at work.

My B metaborate has never gone totally to a dissolved state in solution, so I shake it vigorously immediately prior to drawing from it. The suspended precipitates alway dissolve once it is in the working solution.

5. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use 2 syringes and never contaminated them. Stick with what works. I'll second the rinse and relabel. It's not worth the risk.

6. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another option, get some nail polish, colour doesn't matter, you can probably borrow some if you don't have any (wife, GF, sister, etc), on one syringe put a ring around just below where the plunger goes in. Will not wash off, and once you remember that solution A is the one with the red ring, your all set.

7. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use graduated cylinders, not syringes, so i never put anythig into the stocks. Tworse that can hapen is I ruin one working solution by using the same graduate for both, which I do not.
    Bill

8. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the Metaborate never totally dissolves is because you go to fast in mixing it. I dissolve it (tea-) spoon by spoon in demin. water, at roomtemp., and stir well, it does take some time... This solution is rather thicker then water, a little like fine olive oil.

Philippe

9. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm happy with 2 pipettes and a pipette pump for each. Not excessively expensive, accurate and easy to use. I rinse each out in distilled water after each use.

Regards - Ross

10. Lyn Arnold

Lyn Arnold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have used two syringes marked A and B with permanent marker for over 2 years, rinsing well after use, and kept in a plastic beaker. Still in excellent condition.
    Lyn Arnold

11. wintoid

wintoid Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks for all the responses. I do rinse the syringes out each time, which is how come the labels have faded so badly. In fact, what I might do is remove the label on one syringe, which is similar to what wogster suggested.