Pyrocat?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by EASmithV, May 26, 2009.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What are the advantages of Pyro developers? And what exactly is a staining developer?

And what is the best Pyro Incarnation to start with first?

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
  2. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it true that Ansel Adams used Pyro devs? What kind were they? An older formula of the above, no doubt?

Pyro can come in a single bath developer right? Does it keep in full bottles as well as D76 stock? Is it re-useable or one shot?

What kind of dilution is 1+1+100? Is it for 2 bath?

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
  4. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think Adams did not use pyro, other than in his early years.

My understanding is that Edward Weston used pyro extensively, the the old Kodak Pyro ABC formula.

The 1+1+100 dilution is for Pyrocat. Pyrocat is provided in two stock solutions, Stock A and Stock B. A small amount of A and B is mixed together with a large amount of water to form the working developer. This is done just prior to developing as the mixed solutions go bad within a relatively short period of time (several hours). So what this means is One Part A + One Part B + 100 Parts of water to form the working solution.

Sandy King

5. trexx

trexx Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There is generally a part A and a part B used single shot,single bath. 1 part A 1 part B 100 parts water. The A keeps a bout 1 year and B forever, generally. PYRO and Pyrocat are not the same thing. PYRO is pyrogallol acid and pryocat is catechol. Both developers stain, and harden the emultion and are deliverd in A+B (+C) formulations With A the developing agent and B an alkali. Mixed one shot just before use and the life is short after mixed.

I like Pryo developers because they add density with the stain. And that stain can control contrast to some degree depending on VC paper, light source and developer used. These days I use mostly pyrocat MD, but have used various formulas in the past.

The Book of Pyro is a good place to start.

TR

6. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking about switching to Pyrocat HD, but as you can probably tell, I've never used a staining dev.

7. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Question for Sandy, what exactly is the different versions of Pyrocat? HC, MD, MC, etc?

Oh, and a general forum answer as far as stains go, different devs, different stains. Pyrocat stains differently from say, PMK. I'm not sure where WD2D fits in here, but I have heard good things about that

8. Paul Cocklin

Paul Cocklin Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I've fallen in love with Pyrocat-HD, though I use it at 2:2:100 mostly. Phenomenally easy to use, lasts forever in the glycol (until mixed) and gives a beautiful image imo.

9. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What happens if you change the ratio of 1:1:100 to 2:1½:100 or 2:2:100?
    I use momentairly Pyrocat MC.
    In other words I am looking for a little more contrasty negs.

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Increasing the strength of the Developer to 2+2+100 will give you the increase in contrast you're after, you'll need to find your own optimum development time. As an example I process most of my films for 15 minutes using Pyrocat HD 1+1+100 at 20°C, but when tray processing use Pyrocat HD at 2+2+100 for 9 minutes at 20°C to get the same contrast.

Ian

11. Willie Jan

Willie Jan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am using pyrocat-HD which i make myself. This way i can rely on this for ages to come without having to worry about firms going bankrupt...

Advantages.. The point is that I did not find any practical information of pictures on the web which for example shows the difference in a pic developed in pyro and the same in rodinal. That's always the case with photography. Eveybody talks about it, but nowbody shows the results and more important the difference!

12. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One minor irritation is that I hear people referring to a rather generic 'pyro' as a coverall, without specifying which formula; PMK, ABC, Rollo Pyro...

Tom.

13. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Ian,
    That's very helpfull information. I wil give it a try.

14. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want a one solution pyro, 510 pyro fits the bill.

Mike

15. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, like all things, it's never fully understood until you try it yourself. I heard enough good things about it that I went ahead and I bought some Pyrocat HC from the Formulary.

Can someone please give me a little more detail about the staining action in staining developers? It sounds like it might be an interesting print developer, too.

16. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like wd2d+ very much. It has the advantage of being just as suitable for silver printing on multigrade papers as for alt process.

For someone new to staining developers, let me admonish you to find out who is doing what with their negs. Some folks who use (and advocate) staining developers actually don't print much via silver gelatin straight from the parent neg... instead preferring to do alt process (Pt/Pd) and/or scanning to digital negs and such. So I'd advise any newcomer to find out how the developer is going to fit into his/her own workflow. When I did this research myself, I settled on wd2d+ as the best choice for me. And indeed I found the stain colour to be quite neutral to multigrade papers, and I also found the hardening property useful.