PyrocatHD 2:2:100 - for enlarging roll film

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by fhovie, Apr 1, 2005.

1. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had always been pretty good at putting 9 stops or more in a frame but never thought to stretch out 3 or 4 stops to snap up a scene, The last trip I took to a some dunes, I used tri-x and developed in p'cat 1:1:100 as always and just could not make the flat prints sparkle. I had to go to Phoenix last week and loaded up the SL66 with some FP4 and shot some desert shots - all with 4 stops or less SBR. I developed at 12 minutes in 2:2:200 and .. yes they are a little dense - but wow! On grade 2 paper they sparkle like crazy! sharp and virtually grainless! Although I prefer a little extra film speed, this is a combo worth trying again. It occurs to me that I usually shoot in decent light where contrast is already low. I now know to be more willing to expand my films when I can - which seems to be most of the time. - I could have chosen XTOL and pushed one or two stops and maybe I will. I was nothing short of amazed at how sharp these FP4/p'cat negs are. I will be doing a lot more of this - I bet the results for APX100 will also be good.

2. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You meant 2:2:100 as in the subject line, right?

3. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been souping Efke 100 in Pyrocat-HD 2:2:100 with a reduced agitation scheme (10 seconds every 2 minutes) lately and getting some amazing results. "Sparkle" seems to be the right term for these negatives.

4. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to the Zone System!

Seriously, though, when you refer to prefering "a little extra film speed" are you saying that you used/needed more exposure for this? Do you think you would have got enough contrast by increasing dev time with 100+1+1?

5. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes - correction noted - 2:2:100. And Yes - p'cat - never gives rated film speed (at 1:1:100 with standard agitation) in my experience. Even using 2:2:100 - film speed is still about 1 stop less than box rating. The results of longer times in 1:1:100 do not produce nearly the same expansion as same times in 2:2:100. I have had great luck by using 1:1:150 with TRI-X at full film speed. I believe the times were 25 minutes with four agitations - each after 5 minutes of stand. More grain - more speed. Still N development though. The results from 2:2:100 are N+1 to N+2 with very smooth grain - Still with the film rated at 1 stop less. I Frequently shoot TRI-X and HP4 at 1600 and use MYTOL 1:1 - I get very tight grain and similar expansion but for low contrast landscapes - the FP4 in 2:2:100 seems much better.

So many things to try!

6. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have settled on 1.5:1.5:100. I have also used 2:2 and decided that the higher concentraion was essential if I wanted decent times at 20 degs C for flat to normal conds.

T