PyrocatHD for TRI-X for AZO and for Kalitype

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by fhovie, Jan 9, 2004.

1. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is really one for Sandy King but I know I am not trying something that is not already done for many or you. I read Sandy's fine artical on PyrocatHD and noticed he did not put the curves in for TRI-X on the UV Channel. So I am looking for a starting point.

Senario 1:
    PyrocatHD 1:1:100? for TRI-X sheet film in a tank - hand agitated for regular silver prints with a condenser head:

Is it ASA 320 for N at 70deg for 8min30sec?

Senario 2:
    PyrocatHD for TRI-X sheet film - 8x10 in a tray. Contact printing for AZO 2:2:100?
    What is the N filmspeed and dev time? (will the negs be usable for Kalitye?)

2. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've recently shot OLD Tri-X (2x3) at 200 and developed in PyroCat HD 2:2:100 for 18-minutes for printing on Azo. I have not used the new Tri-X in sheet film, but for roll film, I use the same times as I did with the old stuff. I should point out that I exposed for shadows on Zone IV, so that, plus the somewhat long development produced a very dense negative for Azo printing. I posted a scan in the critique gallery the first part of December.

I have no idea about Kallitype.
    juan

3. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

4. bmac

bmac Member

Has anyone done any testing with the "new" tri-x yet?

5. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I tested the new TRI-X 320 recently. Not much difference between the new and the old in terms of contrast and shape of curve as far as I can observe.

Sandy King

6. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

Brian,
    I've been using new tri-x in 8x10. Pyrocat HD at 2:2:100 in a Jobo at 68F for about the last month.
    No densitometer, but I'm suprized at the my increase in development times vs. old tri-x.
    For old tri-x my times were 6 min in a high contrast situation and 8 min in a low contrast situtation (the extent of my zone system!).
    New tri-x seems to require 7 min high contrast(about a 15 percent increase and kind of in line with most of what I've read), but 10 min low contrast (a 26% increase!) when I print on AZO.
    Some of this might be filmbase + fog, since I use a motor speed of "3" because my motor doesn't have enough torque when I use a lower speed.
    Take care,
    Tom

7. bmac

bmac Member

cool, thanks for the info guys.