Qantas promoting TLRs

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Kevin Caulfield, May 5, 2011.

1. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just received my annual membership update with the new card from Qantas, and the flyer containing the Qantas Gold card features a young lady brandishing some kind of TLR. It is shown from one side and you can just make out the two lenses behind the foreground stalks of wheat or whatever. It seems to be a trend here in Australia to use film cameras in advertising. Very cool. :smile:

2. woodsb

woodsb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The past year or so I started to see more and more adds, mainly clothing companies, showing old SLRs or polaroid cameras. That's indeed very good.

What I'm not sure is if there is a possible legal issue if they would use recent gear in their adds...

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2011
  3. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Legal issue? What for, the free advertising? :smile:

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Agreed. What possible legal issue could there be with just holding something? It's not making a derogatory or defamatory statement.

Steve.

5. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We noticed that advert in our membership renewal too.
    Good for Qantas with an imaginative angle on advertising, even if a TLR is challenging to place in context.

For the ad agencies managing huge account like that for Qantas, they frequently use retro, vintage or uncommon props in the shoots. Better a TLR or something interesting to grab the imagination than the latest and greatest digi...

What "legal issue" is being referred to here??

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think there is an issue as such, it was just the idea of one company showing another company's product in its advertisement.

It's no different from seeing a street full of Ford and General Motors cars in an advertisement or a TV program. If I was a manufacturer of a product I would welcome such free advertising.

Whilst it is common for TV companies to mask off manufacturer's logos when products are shown on TV programs (at least, they do here in the UK) this is more to appease their advertisers who might claim unfairness rather than any legal issue.

Steve.

7. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of passing tourist ladies commented favourably on my Yashicamat 124G this very day, perhaps they had travelled Qantas. Unfortunately they gave no indication that I personally showed any sign of being particularly interesting or cool. I don't use it very often, just needed a light weight MF camera today.

8. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here in the U.S., Ancestry.com has a television ad that features a version of the Minolta Autocord. It is the one with two round light meter-type "eyes" on top. Very cool.

9. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The other day I noticed one of those Progressive insurance ads showed the saleswoman holding what appeared to be some kind of Hawkeye Brownie-type camera.

My guess is that they add a kind of retro visual vibe to the shot, and they are cheap props that they don't have to worry about damaging.

10. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw a Louis Vuitton chronograph ad with a hip guy brandishing a Hassy. I rather liked it.

11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^ Interesting. I had no idea that a venerable Hassy and a "hip guy" flashing Louis Vuitton could be a workable combo. Especially since LV isn't known for being hip.

12. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HaHa. Flo and her Brownie with auto winder and re-usable flash bulbs.

13. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Love the mollycoddle grip on the Hassy. Edgy lighting is a bonus. Wonder where his Sekonic is??

Not so keen on the bland and unserviceable styling of the tick-tock.

EDIT: I have a POLAR watch with HR belt! :smile:

15. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About 3 months ago Sony (?) had a press ad in Australia which depicted a trendy looking young chap with the product in his hands and a Sekonic L 508 meter dangling from his neck. I asked their inquiry site whether if I bought this camera I would need a $600 meter as well. I'm still waiting for a reply, and I was very polite, I said nothing about it being an art designer's accessory to the ad. or just a wank. Nor did I say that I would absolutely never have my meter floating around in midair with a possibility of banging it into a hard surface.

17. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. komla

komla Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I read a 'my little pony' book to my daughter yesterday, one of the ponies had a TLR camera......

19. Ezzie

Ezzie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My little Pony wearing a TLR? My youngest is already experimenting with her iPod touch, and loves My little Pony. I'll have to find that episode and get her going on one of my TLR's :wink: (she's 5)

20. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did a search for My Little Pony and Camera (sad isn't it?!) and all I found was a pony with a Polaroid instant camera so their tastes in cameras do vary a bit!

Steve.