Quarter Grades and Cold Light Printing

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Neil Poulsen, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Neil Poulsen

Neil Poulsen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm considering getting an Aristo cold light head. I have the Zone VI type II VC outfit and want this head for small negatives. I have the Beseler adaptor that enables me to do this. It's easy enough to use contrast filters with this unit, just lift the head and place a filter over the diffuser. Of course, I want the most recent lamp that was optimized for VC printing.

Has anyone experimented with filtration for quarter grades? In the past, I've found that half-grade increments are too large of a jump. Quarter grades would be about right. Steve Anchelle, in his VC printing book, discussed using Roscoe filters for VC filtration. I was thinking of using these in conjunction with the regular Ilford filters when I need to split the difference between two half grades.

Of course, I can do testing, which I don't mind doing. But, I'm interested in what others have found.

2. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

Rosco lighting gels can split grades to less than a 1/4. Get some greens and blues. They come in fractional stops. Experiment to find what you're looking for. The filters are cheap.

3. Kirk Keyes

Kirk Keyes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Neil - Hollywood Lights on SE McLaughlin and about 17th (Portland, OR) seems to have a full line of Rosco filters in stock. $7 a sheet when I was in earlier this summer.

Kirk

4. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If you split grade print there is no need for 1/4 grades. The contrast is just controlled with green and blue filters. It really works well with cold light sources.

lee\c

5. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

By splitting the exposure evenly with #2 and 2 1/2, you will get 2 1/4.

You may also use 25% #2 and 75 % number 3 and get 2 1/4.