Question about changing shutter speed on Hasselblad

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Iluvmycam, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does it matter if the shutter speed is changed with the shutter cocked or not on a SWC 903?

Some cameras like the Widelux say it is better to change speed with a cocked shutter. I was told view cam lenses lasted longer if you changed shutter speed before it was cocked. What do Hasselblads prefer?

Thanks

2. Mark Feldstein

Mark Feldstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I could be nuts, (that's besides the point, however) but the 38mm Biogon? SWC lens is where you adjust the shutter speed whereas the body shutter, I believe, operates at only one speed. So the answer is changing the shutter speed on the lens, once both the lens and body are cocked, should make no difference and cause no problems.

As an aside to that, over the years I've been told by Hassie repair techs that the camera body should always be stored with the shutter in the cocked position as the lens while of course checking both to ensure they are both cocked before attaching or trying to detach a lens.
    Take it light ;>)
    Mark

3. Douglas Fairbank

Douglas Fairbank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    +1 for what Mark said.

4. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad used up their 3 "quirk" strikes when they made us ensure lenses and bodies were cocked to avoid jams, made the back unaware of body status (ie. an unwound body will advance an unexposed frame in a film back, some other cams prevent this), and made us slip the paper leader under that little metal clip on the pressure plate when loading film. They couldn't ask us to change shutter speed only when the lens is cocked too...

I'm not knocking them, I adore my Hasselblads, they got moxy.

5. Mark Feldstein

Mark Feldstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

6. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm really confused. You say it is better to store the Hassy with a shutter under tension and cocked? I thought it was better to store mechanical shutters untensioned. Why would the Hassy be different?

7. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    in reality the shutters won't be affected, unless you store it for a REALLY long time. As long as the works are exercised once in a while, there won't be a problem. Easier to cycle the shutter once a month on all speeds and leave it cocked than to leave it uncocked, forget, and jam the camera when you pair a cocked body with an uncocked lens.

8. Iluvmycam

Iluvmycam Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK, I see.

I got a 903SWC, so the lens removal is not an issue. But good to know about the removable lens variety.

I looked at your work Chris. Very Impressive! I saved 2 of your shots to put in my guest photog portfolio. Will put your name on the files. I show them around when I have a people over that are interested in photography.

A few notes...

1) 'Gansevoort' has lots of dust on the image. Needs spotting. I didn't look at em all for dust, but check them out.

2) When I saved your 2 pix i noticed your name is not on them. You may wish to change the file names. I use this format.

"Photo Title Copyright 2013 My Name"

That way if somneone saves your pix they have the author. Sure somone can remove it. But if your work is around the web a Google image search will lead to the author.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Widelux, Hasselblad 503 and Hasselblad 903. Widelux must have the shutter cocked before changing the speed. The Hasselblads do not care whether of not the shutter is cocked before the shutter speed is changed.

10. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Much appreciated for the kind words! I never really upload final work to the APUG galleries, hence the random file names...I also usually embed my copyright info and contact data in the metadata for the files.

Thanks for the tip on the dust, that version of it is an old print scan, the updated version on my website is spotless...my subscription lapsed about 2 months ago, and being a recent grad, haven't gotten around to renewing it yet...

11. Mark Feldstein

Mark Feldstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know what you're saying is logical, but I the reason is that the mechanism springs loosen or become sloppy over time if left without tension. In the case of Hassies, the repair techs I've asked about that in either Fairfield or Santa Monica when it was there, advised me to keep the camera cocked. You could double check by calling their relocated service center in Union, NJ and here's the scoop on that:
    Hasselblad USA Tech Support and Service Center
    1080A Garden State Road
    Union, NJ 07083
    Main: 1-800-367-6434

I leave all my camera bodies cocked Nikon F2AIs, Leica and Hasselblad alike. And on my 4x5 gear, I keep the Copal shutters cocked when not in use as well. Never had a problem.

Mark

12. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only camera I've heard that about is the Kiev 88, which was a focal-plane shutter with the speed-setting on the wind-crank. Probably applies to the Hassy 1000 and 1600 which the kiev ripped-off. Not sure about the 2000-series hassies, they probably fixed the problem by then.
    But as stated, an SWC you should be fine.

And if you're going to get into the 'should I store it cocked or uncocked?' you may as well ask 'should I use a UV filter?', there'll be just as much debate...

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About this there is no debate. Hasselblad has always advised keeping all cameras and lenses cocked, especially when they are stored. That is not necessarily true with other cameras.

14. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi there

i dont' have a hassy, nor have i used them ..
    but with regards to storage ..
    a well respected camera repair man, tinkerer, prince of a guy and cyclopedia of knowledge
    by the name of steve grimes ( you may see his name in banner ads here
    for the shop which still bears his name ) said ( for copal and other/ large format shutters )
    it doesn't matter one way or another if they are stored cocked or slack ...
    he worked on nearly every kind of shutter made and knew his stuff ...

perhaps if he were alive he would chime in this thread and suggest the same thing
    ( or maybe it is different for swedish shutters and you need to store them cocked and have a slice of wasa toast .. )

steve had moxie too ..

john

15. Douglas Fairbank

Douglas Fairbank Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can confirm that Hasselblad lenses should always be stored cocked, the spring will not suffer. It is much more likely that damage would occur if the tension was released and then recocked before fitting to a camera and there is always the chance that an attempt may be made to fit an uncocked lens.

16. Mark Feldstein

Mark Feldstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Doug !
    To be clear, I think you meant to say ". . . if the tension was released and NOT recocked before [attempting] fitting it to a camera" and that could damage both the lens and the body mechanisms.

Of course, even if you store them cocked like in the case or bag, there's always a chance that they could trip, say from being moved around or bumped so it's best to always check both body and lens before trying to reattach one to the other.
    Mark