Question about lenses for the Yashica FX-3

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by altair, Apr 8, 2009.

1. altair

altair Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all! I've recently got a hand me down from my dad, his old Yashica FX-3 SLR which has been in storage for 20 years! Upon inspecting it, it seems to be working fine..everything works..so I'm stoked! There's a bit of haze on the lens, but hey that's easily fixed. It has the 50mm Yashica f2 ML lens, and so far my results with this lens seems great. But further down the line I'm thinking of getting some other lenses for this baby. What lenses would you recommend? I pretty much want the CZ T* lenses, but they're goshdarn expensive! And has anyone tried the C/Y mount to M42 adapter? Does it work ok?

A bit OOT, but I want to get myself an M42 system sometime too, the TL Electro seems nice...is it worth it just to get myself into the M42 system of lenses?

Thanx in advance!

-dani-

2. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Doesn't this camera use the C/Y bayonet mount ?
    If so, you can use all the old Contax/Zeiss lenses for 35mm with the T* coatings.
    I have a FX-3 Super 2000 and only use the Zeiss lenses.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  3. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many of the Zeiss lenses are lovely...

You need to decide which focal lengths & apertures you want: That is a very personal matter.

Generally speaking, the only Zeiss lens I've come across which wasn't very satisfying is the pre-1985 25mm.

4. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    On a whim, I picked up a very nice used FX-3 Super 2000 a few years ago. Mine came with the kit zoom lens (42-70mm?). I also have a 50mm f/2 and 28mm f/2.8 - all three lenses are Yashica ML.

Don't be too quick to dismiss the Yashica ML glass...from my own experience with this kit...it's pretty darned good glass. Maybe, its not Contax/Ziess but, it awful darned good. I am actually surprised it doesn't get more notice / attention.

Even the lowly zoom surprises me.

I bought the camera because it was just too cheap to pass up. I keep it because it is so small, light and stealthy. I really love that. It seems like I can walk around with it in my hand just about anywhere and nobody ever even notices it...until I release the shutter anyway. My shutter is LOUD!

Nice, fully mechanical body for not much$$$ - can't beat that.

W.R.T. your M42 question...if you wanna get into M42 - just go for the best - Pentax! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with BradS. I tested the 50mm f1.8 Yashinon that came on my FX-3 against a Rollei mount Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar. At f8 with the mirror up, on a tripod, the results are very promising. I stopped looking for a Contax mount 50mm Zeiss after that.

6. altair

altair Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    @Pandolfo: Yes, the FX-3 has the C/Y mount...that's what I'm thinking, since those CZ lenses with T* coatings are so freakin espensive..are they worth the money? How's your experience with them?

@Rolleinut: Thanx for your input. I have another reservation regarding those CZ lenses..I read somewhere that they're not THAT impressive when compared with the Yashica lenses...how's your experience with these lenses?

@Brad: Appreciate your feedback! Hehe, I'm very keen on the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic, if that's what u mean :smile: And yes, those Yashica glass sure are nice...a few websites vouched for them too. But is it worth it to 'upgrade' from my 50mm Yashica f/2 to maybe say a Yashica 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.7? And yeah, my shutter is darn loud too...it goes 'CLACK' and then suddenly everyone looks around, hahaha...

@ic-racer: thanx for that info! That's the thing, if those CZ glasses are not much better than the Yashica ones, then I'll probably stick to the Yashicas. I doubt if there's a Yashinon with a C/Y mount though...is there any? I haven't found one on eBay that's for sure, hehe.

7. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Is it worth it to "upgrade" to either a faster Yashica ML or similar Contax???

I don't know. Only you can answer that for you.

It certainly is not worth it for me....but, then I have lots and lots of 35mm bodies and lenses. If I'm concerned abouit having really good glass on 35mm...I guess I reach for the Nikons and after that, come several Pentaxes and the Minoltas. Even so, the Yashica ML glass is, from what I've seen in actual use, on par with all of these.

Really, I can't think of a single, modern OEM prime lens that sucks...they're all Excellent!

I'd say just shoot with it a while and don't worry about what is the best, most sexy lens.

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm mistaken. I looked at my FX-3 and it says "ML" "Yashica Lens" not Yashinon. I was thinking of my 124-G (which also compares favorably with my Rolleis).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  9. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use many Yashica ML and Zeiss lenses in the CY mount. The Yashica lenses are very good and pretty cheap. One of my favourites is the ML 21mm. The ML 55 2.8 macro gets great reviews.

10. agfarapid

agfarapid Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of Contax 139MA's along with the Yashica FX103 and have used them with Tamron glass (because I also have Nikons, a Topcon DM, etc) and have had excellent results. Particularly the 35 to 70MM 3.5 Tamron adaptall zoom. A bit heavy but excellent glass. Recently picked up a 50MM 4.0 Yashica ML Macro. Great lens, 1:2 focusing. Can't afford Zeiss glass either! Happy shooting.

11. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're after sharpness alone and close down to f/5.6 or 8.0, you might not notice any difference.

The Zeiss' shine in the following situations:
    1) At full aperture
    2) Lack of (or very low) distortion
    3) Lower flare, haze and ghosting
    4) Probably much better bokeh
    5) My favourites have a special visual signature, something akin to a "3-D effect" and extra smoothness compared to most other lenses

How much those extra characteristics, which may or may not be relevant or visible in a given photograph, are worth to you is your choice.

12. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Today you can buy those lenses used pretty cheap (although never as cheap as a Yashica one). Old "CZ" lenses are really spectacular, but you "need" them only if you are shooting slides, contrast and color saturation are the best. Probably they are sharper too, but I can't tell. If you are scanning and post-processing your images, you can correct for a less good lens.

I've never used a Yashica lens to compare, the one that came with my camera was so plastic that since day one rests in the bottom of a trunk. As this camera was a back-up for my Contax Aria, I already had the Zeiss glass.

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe in Chile, but US prices are still pretty high: http://cgi.ebay.com/Contax-C-Y-Tele...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:3|39:1|240:1318
    In case the link expires it is for a Contax C/Y Tele-APO-Tessar 300mm f2.8 300/2.8 T* for $11,000 USD.

14. MPandolfo

MPandolfo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are you serious?
    I thought we were talking about everyday lenses... didn't we?

Is there a Yashica 300mm f2.8 APO to compare ?
    BTW, how many US$11.000 Tele-APO-Tessars.. etc. has this seller sold ?
    Putting a tag with a number on an item doesn't mean it's the real price of it. Show me the check of a buyer and I will believe.

If you are curious, in Santiago, prices of Contax/Zeiss stuff is pretty much the same as any good eBay offer.
    As there are no restrictions here to buy/sell whatever you want from/to whichever country you want, prices are similar to biggest markets.

That said, I assume that when we talk about prices, we are thinking about common reference sources, like eBay, NY big stores and some forums classifieds. You confirm that assumption by citing prices in "the Bay" and not around your corner in Kansas. Why do you think I'll be different ?

Hasta la vista!, baby.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
  15. altair

altair Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your advice Brad...I really value and I think it is sound :D I think I'll stick to the lens I have...for now :smile:

16. altair

altair Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    @Jeff L: Thanks jeff! I'll keep an eye out on those! I certainly agree with you...the Yashica lens that I have gives me excellent results! I'm certainly happy with it :D

@agfarapid: Wow, a macro lens eh? Hmm...maybe later on, I'll consider one of those..how much did it cost you?

17. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have several Yashicas. I have CZ and Yashica DSB lenses. Can't tell much of a difference. Maybe I'm going blind!