Question about older Nikon lenses

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Steve Mack, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I need a tutorial (yes. another one) about the older Nikon lenses. While I'm rummaging through the on-line offerings, which lenses have the indexing tab attached? Is it AI, or AIS, or something else?:confused:

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Huh, interesting, thanks for the link. I met John once, he's a fairly good friend of my brother-in-law. I knew he dealt in cams, but did not realize he did lens conversions.

4. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  5. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try nikonians.org lots of info on this site as well.

Good luck,

Bob

6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In short, the meter coupling shoe is on non-AI, AI and AI-S Nikkors (with only a handful of exceptions).

AI and newer lenses have a ridge on the aperture ring that couples with more modern Nikons. The coupling shoe is not necessary with post-1977 Nikons, but it's there for compatibility with pre-1977 ones.

AI-S lenses add compatibility with program mode and shutter speed priority shooting, although to my knowledge only the Nikon FA really takes advantage of this. One of the FG bodies has program mode too (the FG itself I think) and uses this. So does the F301/F501/N2000/N2020.

Autofocus Nikons (other than the F501/N2020) use the "CPU" contacts (what a terrible name!) on the lens and meter couple electronically. Some autofocus Nikons retain an AI coupling tab that couples with AI/AI-S Nikkors.

Non-AI Nikkors can be AI-converted (see Mr. White's site).

7. i40west

i40west Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's not actually true; the FA can use program mode with both AI and AI-S lenses. The difference between AI and AI-S is that the aperture control lever on AI-S lenses has a linear response (it moves just as far to change by one stop, no matter what stop it actually is).

8. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True. Program mode on the FA will give an accurate exposure with AI lenses, but you have no guarantee that you're getting the shutter speed-aperture combination the camera predicts you will. AI-S (and AF) lenses guarantee that the camera readouts will be correct.