question about super ikonta?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Schunn99, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Schunn99

Schunn99 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hey all,
    I am currently bidding on a super ikonta 530/16 and the seller posted in the descripition that the top buttons(what looks like the rangefinder, shutter release ,and the the film rewind lever does not work. He says he has not tested this camera with film. Do the top buttons, ie shutter release and rangefinder etc only work if there is film in the camera?

thanks,
    Scott

2. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like this camera needs to vist Jurgen Kreckel (or someone like him). You are talking about a $150. to $200. CLA/REPAIR bill here - MORE if the camera needs a new bellows. That said, these Zeiss Super Ikontas are wonderful MF cameras when they are in good working order.

3. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    This uses roll film camera, and you never rewind roll film. It simply runs from one spool to the other.

The 530/16 was the first of the Super Ikonta B models. It uses separate windows for focusing and composing. The successor model, 532/16, features a unified viewfinder/rangefinder.

The cameras otherwise operate the same. You can dry fire the camera. The process is somewhat complex to explain. However, you can release the shutter using the small tab near the bottom hinge.

The Super Ikonta employs double-exposure prevention and also autoframing. You get just 11 exposures, rather than 12.

It's likely that the Super Ikonta will need to be serviced. Prices vary according to who is performing the service.

The Super Ikonta, like nearly all Zeiss Ikon cameras, is an excellent photographic machine. The leather bellows on Zeiss Ikon cameras generally have survived the decades intact. Of the Zeiss Ikon cameras that I've serviced in past years, fewer than five have needed new bellows.

4. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I remember dry firing my old one but I thought there was exposure lock as well at the end of the roll. In fact there is a little trick where you can rotate the frame counter and get the extra 12th exposure.

5. luvcameras

luvcameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format