Question about View Camera article "bags, bags, bags"

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by scootermm, Aug 1, 2006.

1. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I got ahold of the recent issue of View Camera and wondered if I was just missing something. Theres a good article in it about bags for field cameras. Talks about alot of reasonably priced bags (most geared towards the fishing crowd) and how they are good for field camera usage.
    Question I had and wondered if anyone else had, is what size "field camera" is the writer talking about the bags working with? The writer mentions that the "Cabela Fowl Proof Bag" works well for an 8x10 Tachihara, but fails to mention anywhere else in the article (that I could locate) what size field camera the other bags work well with. 5x7? 4x5? 8x10?
    This seems like itd be a pretty important thing to specify so it can be taken in context. Anyone have a clue about this?

2. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was having this crazy idea on how I will be carrying an 8x10 camera with me on a backpack. I alreay have a couple of Pelican cases and I tought, it would be great to have it on a backpack.

Then I came up of this idea of getting a large EXTERNAL FRAME hiking backpack, and either the Pelican fits in it or somehow rig the Pelican onto the rigid backpack frame.

Just a thought....

3. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't help but cynically posit the notion that such information WAS included, but monumentally sloppy proofing left it out. That's why I chose not to renew my subscription...waaaaaay too many uncorrected errors to qualify View Camera as a professionally produced periodical.

4. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

5. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks Tim.

I tried posting to the VC forum but wasnt letting me. Ill try LF.info

6. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Tim, of course I hang out here too ... just not enough time to hang here too much.

No draconuan editing .... just my assumption that the picture of all th equipment wasa pretty clear. I'll plead guilty to not captioning the equipment shown in the grouping as to what size camera it is since I thought it would be obvious it was a 4x5. I don't know of any metal folding cameras larger than 4x5 that would easily be confused with what you see in the picture, especially relative to the other equipment pictured. Not to mention that the film and holder is also a tipoff. Sorry for any confusion there. Also note that in the discussion fo the William Joseph bag I specifically mentioned that its taller 'lid' made it possible to use it with a Canham T57.

Hope this helps and send me a PM if you want any more info.

As to monumentally sloppy proofing, I suggest you take another look sometime. Sure things were pretty bad but I do believe that you will now find that things are much much better. Sure, not always perfect but a lot lot better.

7. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    this thread wasnt meant to bash VC or any such thing.
    Just a bit of confusion on my part as a reader.
    Thanks so much for clearing it up Ted. Im looking for a nice bag for my 8x10 thats easier to work with then my current one. So it sounds like the Cabela Fowl Proof bag would be a great option. Thanks again for the informative article. It was nice to see some more reasonably priced options out there to haul our gear around.

8. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Matt,

I haven't seen the View Camera Article, but if you don not have it here is the link for the Cabela Fowl Proof Camera Bag:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...e+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=fowl+proof+bag&noImage=0

Rich

9. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Glad it is claered up. For referene the camera pictured with the gear is a Toyo AII and the one in the Orvis bag later in the article is a Wista 4x5. The Willam Joseph is shown open with the Canham 5x7 inside.

Regarding the Cabela's Fowl Proof Bag you might want to PM Hany who actually put the bag through its paces in the field much more than I did.

10. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been wondering about that too. My case and camera weight is around 47 pounds so that's not going on MY back in this lifetime. I did an 80 pound pack on the AT when I was a lot younger and it about killed me. I would hovever like to be able to hike with the 8x10 rather than only the 4x5. I'll have to get a copy and read the article. That bag looks like a shoulder bag, which is not as comfortable as I would like, but for that price, it sure looks good!

- Randy

11. Ted Harris

Ted Harris Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    One more point it iwas NOT the Fowl Proof Camera Bag that we tested. It was the Fowl Proof Blind Bag which nicely holds an 8x10, some holders and other stuff. The Fowl Proof Camera Bag AFAIK is not large enough for an 8x10.

12. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The weight of our equipment and camping/backpacking gear is very heavy. That is why I have different sized camera bags for different equipment that I load into my backpack. I had a custom made McHale panel loading internal frame pack made so that I can carry the camera equipment (up to my 4x5 Linhof Technikardan 45S) and lightweight backpacking equipment. The pack will easily carry 60 to 65 pounds comfortably. The pack was quite expensive, but was custom made to fit me. The McHale harness systems are some of the best and most comfortable in the business. My pack is a 5000 cu inch plus backpack is made out of combination of full Spectra fabric and 440 Hi tenacity nylon fabric.

McHale at this point only makes about 200 packs a year.

Here is his link:

http://www.mchalepacks.com/

Rich

13. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I fasten my Zone VI bags onto an external backpack frame. Just use elastic cords and some of the bag straps. This is all lighter weight 5x7, 4x5 and 6x9 stuff. That way I just change the bag and use the same frame. And I can use them as shoulder bags for shorter distances. I don't see why you can't do this for any type of case. They probably have special hauling frames with a lip available. Only limit is what you can carry.

15. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  16. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your idea is a good one. I haven't seen one in a while but you used to be able to find packboards, essentially a frame with proper straps and a lot of lashing points. You might still find these at stores that focus on western hunting outfitters (where you pack out the game).

Modern external frame packs (less the fabric pack) can be used but they don't always have enough good lashing points. Plus I haven't seen one recently that has the "tray" at the bottom (I have a old Boy Scout frame pack with that tray and keep it just for that reason).

I'd cruise thrift shops for older packs with that L tray, then plan on replacing straps and hip belt.

Another option is a canoe pack. Most do not have frames (not good for this purpose) but some do have internal frames. Your Pelican case would have to fit inside.

17. ReallyBigCameras

ReallyBigCameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Look for something called a freighter frame. These are a frame with a fold down "shelf" usually marketed at hunters for hauling chunks of large game animals, but some companies that specialize in wildfire fighting gear also make them. I know Kelty makes one or two, as does Camp Trails and I've seen them on the Cabela's site as well. A company named Wenzel makes freighter frames for the forestry industry. If you do a google image serach on "freighter frame" you'll get a good assortment of these types of frames.

Kerry

18. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just did a search and those will totally work with a Pelican case! That's awesome.

Of course, I would recommend a Pelican 1500 and not bigger. You'll be having a sore back with a bigger case and more gear.

This is a cool thread. It was just a thought that I had about the frame backpack but I knew someone with more experience with them can lead me to the right direction.

19. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Eric,

It is your call about affixing a Pelican 1500 or other like hard case to a Freightliner or other External Frame. I have several Pelican cases and I like them as hard cases to store and carry equipment either in the car or for shipping. But these are heavy and very rigid cases to carry far into the field. The 1500 weighs 6.4 pounds empty and 7.05 pounds with the foam.

External frame packs are comfortable, but I do not know how comfortably a Pelican Case will carry affixed to the frame far into the field.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2006