Question on Eukobrom 1+9 @14°C and FB paper

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by anbe, Nov 13, 2007.

1. anbe

anbe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    G'day to all.
    Due to lack of hot water in the darkroom and bad heating condition, I have the developing bath (Eukobrom 1+9) for FB paper (Fortezo) @ 14°C.
    Is there anyone that experienced this developer at this temperature?
    What have I to expect from this situation as quality of the print?
    Any advice?
    Thanks

2. bwakel

bwakel Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I don't have any water supply in the darkroom and my darkroom's in my cellar which is only accessible from outside the house but I take a bucket of water at 21 degrees C into the cellar and use this to make up my chemicals. This works for me!

3. anbe

anbe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You're right bwakel but the problem is also the low temperature of the darkroom, so even if I do a developing bath @20°C it keeps this temperature for a short time. The last time the bath temperature fall from 21 to 14°C in 1,5 hour.

4. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    anbe,

How about using an oil filled radiator in the room to bring it up to 20/22ºC while you're printing?

Tom.

5. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've contemplated using a heating pad under developer trays in the dead of winter. I'm not sure if there are models out there that are appropriately waterproof, though (I've not checked). My darkroom usually doesn't get down to 14°C, so I've not been all that motivated to look into it.

6. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Never used the paper or developer but have printed in a cold Northeastern-US basement darkroom that did get down to about 68-70F in the winter. It took a lot longer for the image to develop and come up fully. I played with a fish tank heater in a large rubbermaid that had bricks on the bottom for the tray to rest in. It worked well but in the end I gave up and just let the prints sit in the tray for up to 5 minutes. I didn't notice a drop in quality then. A small ceramic or oil-filled space heater is great though..