Question on Fuji instant films...

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by seanmophoto, Jan 11, 2010.

1. seanmophoto

seanmophoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,
    I recently purchased a Polaroid 195 full manual camera...first impressions...very cool

I'm new to instant films and having some issues with the camera

it appears everything is about 1 stop overexposed with the fuji instant films. I've used all three. 100c seemed to overexpose the most

I'm shooting using incident readings from a sekonic 358

pictures have been pretty consistently overexposed if use the straight meter reading, but look much better underexpose 1-2 stops(1 seems to work the best)

so I'm wondering if this is something others have seen with fuji films?
    am I metering sloppily?
    Ive been shooting hp5 and tri-x in TLRs for a few months now and have gotten good results just taking incident readings, but those films seem to have much more exposure latitude.

do I need to account for highlights more when shooting instant?

and could it be a camera issue if everthing is 1 stop over? it shows up at all the shutter speeds I have tried.

also, I've checked the bellows and they look fine.

any and all help appreciated
    thanks

2. matt S

matt S Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My guess would be the shutter- not the film. I have not had any problems with overexposure with the Fuji films, black and white or color.

As shutters get older they usually get slower- not faster, so this might explain your issue. You can try timing the shutter to see how accurate it is running.

The 195 is a great camera, hope you are enjoying it!

Matt

3. seanmophoto

seanmophoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yeah starting to think its a slow shutter...will shutter get progressively slower?
    and is it possible to work around it if it stays consistent?
    I'd like to be able to use it with confidence

4. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I shoot mine with a polaroid 600 SE and it's always been spot on. Check your meter and your shutter. The film shoots about the same as most slide films. It's a reversal film so you will lose highlights more readily than in a negative.

5. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Same. I shoot with a Mamiya Universal and I get good exposures with standard meter readings.

6. SoonerBJJ

SoonerBJJ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've also had good results with the Fujifilm instants. I've used both color and B&W 100 and 3000 in my Polaroid 600SE. I'm currently metering the scene with my Canon 50D.