Question regarding multiple roll development compensation

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Shootar401, May 27, 2012.

1. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Believe it or not for the first time in 8 years I'm developing more than one roll in a tank at a time. I had a large shoot where I ended up with 12 rolls of 120 to develop. My question is do I need to add time to the developing times to compensated for a second roll of film, or do I stick with my current times. FWIW it's delta 100 and 400 and I'll be developing in DD-X.

Thanks

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Stick with your current times.

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

4. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only thing that changes is your fill/dump time, but as long as your development time is longer than six minutes, I wouldn't worry about it. Stay with your single-reel tank times.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Make sure you have enough developer in the tank (active ingredient, not just enough volume to cover).

And if you are using Paterson reels, are you aware that you can load 2 rolls on the same reel?

6. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I know this makes no sense and I'm a bit weird in this way, but I don't like the idea of developing multiple rolls in one tank.

7. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're right, you are weird! :tongue:

Actually, I don't like developing two rolls of 120 in a single tank. There's two much space left at the top of the tank, and I don't like the reels sloshing around in the liquid. I was taught that the film should move through the developer, not the developer through the film, so I don't like extra space in the tank. I always fill the tank, no matter how much (or how little) liquid is needed to cover the reels.

If I could find something to act as a spacer, to keep the reels at the bottom of the tank, I'd be fine with developing multiple reels in a tank.

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An empty reel works perfectly.

Or for Paterson tanks, the clip designed for that purpose.

Or for 35mm, a film canister with the bottom cut off, slid over the central core.

9. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There isn't enough room for another 120 reel, but... a 35mm reel might be perfect!

Thanks for the idea! :smile:

10. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup I do this, nice and simple solution, saves me from washing more reels, and doesn't impede the flow of chemicals. I posted some pictures somewhere of it.

11. John Shriver

John Shriver Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The more rolls you process in one tank, the more heart-wrenching a "failure" is.

Also, tanks larger than a Nikor Q30 (30 ounce, two rolls of 120) are pretty darned heavy, it's hard to fill and drain them quickly, awkward to agitate them. The weight of the Nikor sheet film tank when full is the biggest problem I have with it.

Also, even by a Q30 tank, properly you should be filling it with developer, and lower the reels in on a lifting rod in the dark. The bigger the tank, the more the risk of filling marks on the film.