question regarding my Leica M6 TTL

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by michael9793, Sep 17, 2008.

1. michael9793

michael9793 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    today I was using the light meter in the camera and found that the left arrow started to blink. the manual said it was a low battery. I bought two new batteries from Batteries Plus. But it still is blinking. could it be bad batteries I bought or is there something else happening.
    regards

michael andersen

2. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have many Leicas but not M6 - however, check this out:
    http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cach...ery&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk&client=firefox-a
    which tells how it is possible for a set of batteries to drain in 1 to 2 days(!).
    Of course, if the batteries you buy are long-dated and therefore fairly certain to be fresh and you get a low-battery indication IMMEDIATELY you fit them, this points to some other problem.

3. michael9793

michael9793 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have checked the batteries with a meter and they both read 1.5v and read further into the maual and it indicates that a flickering of the left arrow is a sign but a blinking of the left arrow is low light. well in bright light the camera meter is still blinking and i can't think that 4 batteries would be bad at one time. when you just bought them. could the meter have a problem?

4. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Might I suggest that you call Leica in NJ and speak to one of their service representatives? The representatives are normally very helpful and will likely be able to rapidly provide the answers that you seek. Let us know how you make out-many of us have the same Leica camera as you do!

Edwin

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't have this camera, or any Leica, but corrosion on the battery contacts could give the same symptons as low batteries.

Steve.

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It doesn't take all four to be bad, just one of four. If you're using a multi tester to check the voltage it doesn't really work.
    Even an inexpensive battery tester puts a load on the battery to check voltage. Multi tester don't.

7. michael9793

michael9793 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I called and he didn't know what to tel me, so he said he would get back to me I hope soon and that I don't have to send it to them.

8. michael9793

michael9793 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Okay,
    I'm not responsible for anyone dying of laughter, or any heart attacks caused by the same. I'm use to my Nikon S2 which doesn't have a lightmeter, but forget this range finder used through the lens metering and if you leave the lens cap on you can't meter. BRAIN FART TO THE MAX

maybe I should stay with LF camera

mike andersen brain fart extraordinaire

9. John Bragg

John Bragg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hey Mike,

Good news all round then. Leica is fully functioning and you gave us all a laugh too. At least you didnt take any pics with the lens cap in place.... that would not have been so funny !!!!!

10. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike, you're a good sport for telling us! Thanks for the laugh, and glad it wasn't a camera problem.

11. Steve Bellayr

Steve Bellayr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes the M6 Classic has that problem, too. Those rangefinders aren't dextrous enough to remove the caps by themselves but they do notify you.

12. marke

marke Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I agree.

Mike, I've done this myself. But now when it happens, I remember that the flashing is actually a built-in "take off the lens cap, you idiot!" warning light that Leica has provided but never explained to us. :D

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, you've made my day by reassuring me it's not just me, I picked up one of my SLR s last week, took the lens cap off, looked through the viewfinder, and thought I'd gone blind everything was black, I then realized that the mirror lock was on:rolleyes: