Questions about APS

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by IloveTLRs, Apr 16, 2009.

1. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    The other day I found a Tix for pretty cheap and it's gotten me somewhat interested in APS format. In stores I've only seen Kodak Advantix film (ISO 200 and 400 I think) and nothing else. I'm almost positive that there is no more B&W or slide film in APS format anymore :sad:

I'm wondering, is it possible to crack open an APS cartridge and respool in 35mm film? Are the films the same size?

2. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    APS film is narrower and has some punchings and markings, as well as some sort of magnetic stripe -- not sure how important that stuff might be, probably some cameras didn't use all those hooks but I don't know. Even at its peak, I believe there was only one APS slide film and no conventional B&W; that helped cut down on its popularity with more advanced users.

DaveT

3. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You're in Japan, I'm in Australia, but here I buy Fuji Nexia ISO200 APS film easily. I'm guessing it's also available in Japan!

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
  5. Sarah_J

Sarah_J Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You won't be able to attach a 35mm film inside as its too big, and little door on the APS cartridge needs to be kept closed to stop the light getting in, it only opens inside the camera when the film is automatically advanced. Kodak did make a B&W APS film, but wasn't true B&W as it was C-41 processing only. Not sure if you can buy them anymore though.

6. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now that it's morning and I'm awake ...

Here is a shot of APS and 35mm side by side:

[​IMG]

DaveT

7. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I too wish you could at least get a chromogenic B&W film in APS. Is there any way to process color negative film to be printable onto b&w paper?

8. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can print colour film onto B&W paper, if you have a colour head and some filtration, or failing that you are prepared for loooooong exposures onto standard paper. Not ideal but can be done

(Or scan it and do it that way)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
  9. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Printing normally processed C-41 film onto B&W paper can produce odd results because most B&W papers aren't sensitive to red light, and of course some of the color negative's image will be defined by red wavelengths. You might still get acceptable results, or it might end up looking weird. Just for the heck of it, I tried printing a photo I took of two people using color film on B&W paper. One person looked OK, but the other had an unnaturally dark complexion in the print, in a way that was very unflattering.

Kodak used to make a B&W paper for printing from color negatives, but it's no longer available. My understanding is that both Ilford and Oriental still have such products, but I don't recall their names. These papers would all have to be exposed and processed in complete darkness, much like color paper.

Another approach would be to process the color film using B&W chemicals. That will result in a conventional B&W negative, except that it'll have a dense orange mask. That mask will require longer exposures and perhaps contrast adjustments, but at least you won't be dealing with red information being "lost."

10. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've done that myself, but be warned the density of the negs isn't great, and it can be rather grainy. If you want the grain look, its a cheap way to do it

11. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've seen the chromogenic APS stuff.

12. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    but you can't get it anymore.

13. Removed Account2

Removed Account2 Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reviving this thread.

I've processed Kodak Advantix Ultra in Caffenl developer after the CCM recipe.

And made a shocking discovery : instead of the expected B&W negative, out came perfectly exposed, perfectly developed, what looks like perfect COLOR negatives, from a B&W developer!

Can anyone explain that? Are the color ingredients already in the film, so that Advantix developer in effect is just a simple B&W developer?

It must have been a stroke of luck of gigantic proportions for me to mix a vitamin c & coffe-based developer *just right* to get color development otherwise!

I already reported this in both the Caffenol and Half-frame groups here on APUG.

http://www.apug.org/forums/groups/coffee-developers-d965-might-world-sensation.html

ErikP

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2010
  14. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Post 'em up so we all can see

15. Removed Account2

Removed Account2 Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well that will happen on the appropiate group, for those geniunely interested in the development & refinement of Caffenol.

This was just a headsup. And a call to anyone that know a little about Kodak Advantix film.