Questions about BW dev and ruined photos.

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by bibowj, Oct 4, 2011.

1. bibowj

bibowj Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last night I ran my first rolls of Neopan Across (in xtol), and while the process took a little to get used to, it worked just fine..However, I had aproblem that Im not sure what caused it.

On each roll (including a 3rd roll of HP5) several photos were ruined by what I THINK is unspent developer. What it looks like is a pink substance burned or stained into the negative. Its pink redish and is oblonged (if thats a word). I know I had some difficulity getting the negative around the reel (120) so maybe the negative was crimped and caused something to get trapped...
    Can someone give me an idea as to what this? I had it happen on all 3 rolls...

Note: Im using metal 2 roll tanks and metal reels (from adorama) and all the other pics turned out perfectly developed)

Thanks!

2. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear bibowj,

It sounds as though the film wasn't quite seated on the reel at one point. The non-emulsion side of one wrap was probably touching the emulsion side of the next wrap. The images themselves are not salvageable, but you can remove the stain by re-fixing (washing etc.).

Neal Wydra

3. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am inclined to agree with Neal. My suggestion is to waste a roll of film and practice rolling it on the reel. You can close your eyes to simulate being in a darkroom. Cut the corners on the beginning of the roll of film and LIGHTLY squeeze to curl the film when starting it on the reel. Roll the reel on a flat surface by holding the edges of the film and pushing. The film will roll itself on to the reel.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

4. X. Phot.

X. Phot. Guest

As previously mentioned, if you have sections of the negative that have not been cleared by fixing, simply refix that negative until it has cleared. There is the possibility that developer was able to act on that section of the negative, where the fixer couldn't.