Questions About Durst M601 Enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Richard Jepsen, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I lost DR space and need to downsize from a 6x7 enlarger to a Durst 600 or 601. I'm exploring buying a like new M601 used primarily for 645 negs.

Anybody have the M601 baseboard and column height dimensions?

The M600 and M601 differences I see from pictures are head cosmetics, the column, and provisions for a red under-the-lens filter.

Any other improvements between the M600 and M601? Any user experiences?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2012
  2. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Column of M601 is 83.5cm from baseboard surface to top. Base is 50cm wide by 55cm deep. Base is on rubber feet and stands approx 6cm off work surface. I think it is more recent than the M600. I saw a big list of Durst products and manufacture dates somewhere on the net. It may have been here, or another photo forum. I've had my 601 for years. It works well, and is solidly built. I have thought about an M605, but the M601 does everything I need. I use it for 6x6 B&W negs with the Ilford filter holder attached. Alex

4. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks Fred and Alex for the dimensions. The column height is perfect for a compact enlarger projecting on 8x10 in paper.

The enlarger comes with a 50mm lens. What parts are potentially missing to enlarge MF?

It comes with the SIXNEG negative carrier. Don't you need opposing (2) condensers in addition to a SIXPLA lens panel?

I have a M600 manual which reads the SIXPLA can be used for MF to 35mm. So maybe Durst shipped all 601s with a SIXPLA. The lens panel thread can be compared to the shipped lens thread.

5. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Richard,

I have the M601 with a Sevoneg adjustable glass neg carrier (35mm to 6x6 and all between). According to the info on Ollinger's site, the 600 is the older model and has a focusing device similar to the M301 (the red-green doohickey). For a lens plate I have a Lapla for 6x6 and a recessed lens mount for the 50mm lens, a Setopla 2839. I also believe the 600 has a different condenser setup (3, I think) where the 601 only requires two condenser lenses for 35/6x6. The third condenser lens on the 600 is for 35mm use. I'm guessing but I believe the 600 resembles the m300/301 with the focusing aid and lens panel arrangement.

If I recall, my M301 came with a 25mm lens panel but I could be mistaken. What lens is coming with the enlarger? The older componons were 25mm thread.

6. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Fred, the lens is a 50mm Companon f/3.5. I've asked the seller to check the lens box to determine the thread. A picture of the packing Styrofoam shows a slot below the enlarging head. It looks like an object similar to a condenser or filter tray fits in the packing slot. I'm thinking the unit had to ship with both condensers.

Reading the manual I see the M601 lens standard adjusts for verticals while the M600 does not.

Do you ever get Newton ring issues?

7. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RJ,

No Newton rings so far. I have a chrome and a black Componon and I believe they are both f4.0 and 25mm thread. Excellent lens for its time (uncoated or single coated IIRC).

8. Neil Poulsen

Neil Poulsen Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I had a Durst 600 as my first enlarger. Worked fine. I recall that it had individual masks to exclude unwanted portions of the negative. The column seemed strong enough.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always preferred to use a glassless top mask and a glass below in my Dursts (inc an M601) that eliminates the chance of newton rings,

If height is an issue mount the column direct to the back of the bench, I used to use a slotted frame below that allowed me to drop part of the table below the enlarger. (In fact I had a 5x4 enlarger mounted alongside).

Ian

10. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Most of my 645 MF enlargements are full frame on 8x10. Occasionally I print 9x12 inches for a wall mount.

When not using a speed easel I use one of two four blade easels. With a 33 inch/85cm column I expect the base of the column will obstruct the smaller Saunders 11x17 easel when printing 9x12 in a portrait orientation.

Ian's classic solution is not possible in the space I have. The ability to mask the negative in the carrier could allow the projection of clean negative borders onto a 11x14 speed easel.

Anyone use a speed easel as described with the M601?

What is the most convenient 4 blade easel to use for my size enlargements with a M601?

Does a M601 heat up with a 75W bulb?

My Saunders 670 XL head runs cool unlike an Omega B-22 which will pop negs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  11. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There seems to be quite a range of accessories available for the 601. Mine came with the Sivoneg carrier which can take pairs of metal inserts for negatives sub-35mm up to 6x6. There is also plain or AN glass available, again in pairs. When I did 35mm on it, I used metal inserts alone. For 6x6 I use metal above and AN glass below. I have flat and recessed lens plates with standard(39mm?) threads, and a flat one with 25mm. These are metal, but you also find plastic examples. There should be two condensers in black plastic cases which are used together. I believe they were packed outwith the head. There is a square filter drawer in the head. There was an accessory wall bracket, and also copy stand lighting available. I use an ancient 4blade easel made by Sands&Hunter which holds paper up to 15"square. You do run out of space to go beyond that, but the head can turn through 90deg for wall projection. It also has "movements" to correct verticals,etc. I don't find it overheating with the 75w lamp. I was thinking of getting a150w which is the max usable. I found it difficult to use a big(16"x12") 2blade easel on the baseboard. Alex

12. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The user e-mailed the lens panel is a Setopla 2839. Is the thread a 39mm?

Can the panel be reversed so to mount a 80mm for MF enlarging?

If not, could I use the 2839 with a Nkkor 63MM f/2.8 and avoid vignetting at F/4 or f/5.6?????

13. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 601 that I use for 35mm and 6X6, a few months ago someone on Craigs list was selling a 601 with a taller XL column, I was very tempted to get it, with the standard column I can just get an 11X16. Overall I like the 601, if I had the room I would get a Durst 4X5 to replace my D3.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The most common enlarger lens thread is 39mm. You need a flat panel for 6x6 enlargements using 75 or 80mm lenses. I'm not sure about 645. One of my flat panels is called Siriopla. The 25mm is called Lapla 25. Unfortunately there are no names on the original flat and recessed 39mm panels that came with the enlarger. I have seen the recessed one described elsewhere as Siriotub. The problem you find with the 50mm lens on a flat panel is that the bellows become too compressed before the image comes into focus. I have checked the instructions, but there is no mention of the different types of panels. It does confirm, however, that the one pair of condensers is used with all lenses, and that the column can be reversed for floor projection.

16. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Lapla is the flat lensboard, and best for 75 or 80 mm lenses; Setopla is the recessed lensboard, and best for 50mm. You can use the Setlopla for the 75/80 mm but will be limited on the smallest print size. The Setopla cannot be reversed. Both were available in 25mm and 39mm threaded versions, and I found my Lapla 39mm lensboard on ebay.

I recommend a heat absorbing glass in the filter drawer, just on theoretical reasons--that would not have to be Durst, just one the right size.

17. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    OK, the Setopla 2839 is a 39mm thread configured for a 50mm lens. Unfortunate Durst bits and pieces are pricey.

A 645 neg uses a 75mm or a 80mm enlarging lens.

Anyone use a Nikkor 63mm f/2.8 for 35mm using the Setopla 2839 lensboard?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2012
  18. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Would a Nikkor 63mm f/2.8 designed for 4x4 cover 6x45 using the M601 -135 lens board.

19. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although I am sure about a Nikkor I have a Rodenstock 65mm 5.6 that I use with my old 127 4X4 using the 75mm lens board, on occassions I have used it on 6X6 stopped down to F 8 or 11 up to 11X14.

20. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I'm trying to remember what happens when you place a longer lense on a short mount. I think your head height increases and you may run out of bellows to focus with small enlargements. Regardless, if I purchase this enlarger I will try to buy the right mount.

21. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No change in head height, you just need extra bellows extension equal to the difference between the long and short mount. Many enlargers have plenty of bellows, even inexpensive ones. The big exception is the Omega D3 (and some other early Omegas) that have very limited bellows range and won't focus without a near exact match between lens and its recommended lens mount or cone.

22. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Definitely you lose bellows extension if the lensboard is recessed, limiting the smaller size enlargements, however it might not matter to you, and you can always use the Setopla until you find a flat lensboard.

You also might be able to find a lens extender. 15 to 25 mm length should be OK. Nikon used to make these and I found a Canon RF threaded one (same 39mm threads), too.

23. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I have a 15mm Leitz extension tube with 39mm thread. Maybe that would work!!

24. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Richard;
    The Durst 601 is a fine enlarger for 35mm and 6 x 6 cm. I would take apart the head and clean it up. A trash bag is placed over the head to keep it dust free between uses. Yes it uses the standard 75 watt enlarger bulb. A recessed lensboard for the 50mm, flat board for the 75mm. I really liked the negative carrier with the ability to maskout stray light. I went to a Beseler 23c so I could enlarge 6 x 9 cm negatives. You will need to pickup some filters for the tray for B & W. Have fun, Steven.

25. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The Durst 600 series was designed for advanced amateur use and shipped in a protective package. For those two reasons it is not uncommon to find a seldom used or unused M601.

I've not used a glass carrier and its expensive to convert one to inserts if not provided at purchase. Using the laundry room for a DR I don't have dust issues. My condenser LPL and Leitz 1c are excellent blocking out dust once the negative is positioned for projection.

There are user dust complaints when using glass carriers. I assume dust wipes off glass easier than a negative and once the carrier inserted the 601 blocks dust as well as my LPL???

I reviewed the instructions Durst does not specify if a 6x6.45 insert is available????

With inserts Durst recommends using the SIXCALO heat-absorbing glass. Is their recommendation overkill with a 75w bulb??

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2012
  26. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't notice a problem with dust on the glass. I use canned air to blow it clean every so often. I don't have the Sixcalo filter, but have had no problem without it.