Questions about my new 28mm lens

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by solvingday78, Oct 15, 2005.

1. solvingday78

solvingday78 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a brand new Ultron 28mm 1.9 Aspherical Screw-mount lens for my new rangefinder, and the actual foot measurements on the lens don't seem to be correct. Whenever I focus in my viewfinder an object that is 10 feet away, on the lens it shows it in focus at like 8. How do I deal with this?

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Stop down a little and leave it to the DoF? At least that's the philosophy behind the Bessa-L non-rangefinder camera: Accurate distances are not required with wide-angle lenses.

3. eumenius

eumenius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hm, that could mean that your lens or rangefinder may be out of adjustment. Try to shoot a test roll of film with your Ultron wide open, including the shortest possible distance and infinity, and maybe a newspaper on the same distances, print 15*20cm photoes, and you'll see if the infinity is in place. But, judging by the quality of the mark, it just shouldn't be so. However, I saw a new Leica, taken out of its box, with a RF assembled in the wrong way - one of the lenses inside was placed upside down, so it was unable to focus on anything :smile:)