Questions about Pentax 67 accessories

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Joooorsh, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Joooorsh

Joooorsh Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anyone know if the Pentax magnifier loupes made for the Spotmatic cameras are compatible with the 67 finder? Want a magnifier, but don't want to pay KEH prices.

And where can I get a wood handle to mount of the right hand lugs? I want to run with a two handle setup for this camera.

2. PaulMD

PaulMD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I doubt they are compatible. The spotmatic uses a rectangular VF window with slots on the left/right, much like the K1000. You slide something down over the VF. The P67 has a round screw-in viewfinder window, where you unscrew it, slip the magnifier in place, and then screw it back in.

You will have to get a right-hand handle custom made, the most common maker of these sells them through the auction site.

3. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    To my knowledge Pentax never made one for the right side. Unless I'm wrong about that you'd have to customize a left side handle.

4. Joooorsh

Joooorsh Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can customise a left side handle but there's nowhere to attach it properly.

5. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would think you could build a bracket that was welded to the existing wood mount, attached via bolt to the tripod mount and added a right hand handle. But that is quite a bit of fabrication, especially ensuring it does not Interfear with the loading mechanism.

6. LJSLATER

LJSLATER Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  7. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recall seeing the Pentax wood handle for the right side..... At least, I'm quite certain of the memory. I have one of the aftermarket right hand grips (the eBay fellow) and it's quite functional and well made.

8. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Handles were made for left and right side for the Pentax 67/6x7, but obviously with right handle would present quite a challenge operating the shutter release handheld! The left handle is still very common, but adds additional weight to an already heavy camera and with handles on, there is no means by which to attach a neckstrap, such as OpTech's very good neoprene straps that magically make a heavy beast of burden a pleasure to haul.

The magnifier for the Pentax 67/6x7 is especially designed for that camera; additionally, note that if it is bumped during transit, it can break the viewfinder eyepiece bezel, and these are very scarce as spare parts. Wearing magnifying glasses (as I do) is a better choice.

9. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a handle for my P67 but I don't find it to be all that useful. It is nice for lugging it around but I don't find it very ergonomic for hand-held shooting which is what I thought I would use it for before I bought it.

10. PaulMD

PaulMD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am unaware of any official right-hand grip for either model. There's not even anything for it to attach to, only one lug on the right side. Also, the grip is fully compatible with a strap, there are lugs that attach to studs on the handle just like the ones the grip mounts to. I often carry mine on the strap in vertical orientation, so the grip is close to my left hand, but you can also have it hang horizontally.