quick and dirty time/development conversion from hp5+ to Tri-x 400

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Wayne, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I need a quick and dirty conversion for my dialed in and tested EI and developing times for HP5 to Tri-x, which I haven;t shot in 30 years. I'm only testing leaky roll film backs, so this doesn't have to be perfect, just close enough to get in the ballpark with exposure and development in the off chance I get a good shot I want to print. I shoot Hp5 at 200 usually, and develop in HC-110 (don't know the dilution, but doesn't matter) for 8.25 minutes. So I'm just looking for a suggestion for EI and developing time given what I use, should I increase or decrease x percent, or will my normal EI and developing time be close enough?

2. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I find Tri-x to be slightly slower in speed and need less development time than HP5.

4. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What I meant is the specific dilution I use (which is written down, but not in memory) shouldn't matter, as I'm going to use it as always. I just need a guess as to how much more/less time Tri-X will need.

5. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

Ok, so maybe -10%?

6. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    My normal time for HP5 in ID-11 1:1 is 13 minutes. My normal time for Tri-x is 10. So that's 30% more for HP5.

My fear with your HC-110 dilution is that your development times may get too short with Tri-x. You're gonna have to start somewhere. Maybe shoot a roll of Tri-x that doesn't matter in your usual lighting and develop for 7 minutes?

7. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've got everything I need to know now-thanks.

8. pgomena

pgomena Member

My standard time for Tri-X, EI 200, in HC-110 B was 5 minutes at 68 degrees with gentle agitation. 30 seconds continuous agitation followed by 2 inversions each 30 seconds thereafter.

Peter Gomena