Quick Change Lens Bag?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by EASmithV, Jan 20, 2013.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I am currently in search for the perfect camera bag (you know how that goes) and in particular i'm looking for a quick change lens bag. Specifically for portrait or event shoots, where I can pop the lens off, throw it in the bag, slap another on quickly, freely, and without worry of damaging the lens. I've been mainly using smallish primes, but if such a bag works well, i'll want to use it with my Hasselblad system lenses as well. I do plan on buying some big zooms if I ever get the money, so the bag needs to be able to accommodate those as well. I keep UV filters on all my lenses, so I dont usually worry about the front element, however, when quickly changing lenses, I don't want to have to be constantly messing about with rear lens caps... But at the same time, i don't want to be moving quickly at an event and damage one of my favorite (and likely expensive) lenses.

Any suggestions?

2. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll watch this to see if such a bag exists, but currently, I would never stow a lens without caps at both ends, nor a camera body with no body cap. Perhaps I'm just a bit too cautious.

3. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am also that way, but it adds to increased slowness during shoots. For portrait shoots, while getting in the way, its doable, but not so much for event or faster moving shoots. I'm trying to be less about the gear and more about the images lately (whats the point in having great lenses if they never see their potential?) but at the same time, I don't want to damage anything by acting moronic.

I found something which is SORT OF what I'm looking for... I'm certainly not looking for some sort of full body vest/harness with an array of pouches and camera holsters... That would impede my style of shooting.

Any thoughts on this bag? http://shootsac.com/shootsaclensbag.aspx

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. pen s

pen s Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I finally decided after many years that 'fast' and 'lens change' do not belong in the same sentence.

Those two bags look OK for big lenses but what about small primes? Wouldn't they drop to the bottom of the hole?

6. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As I see it, there is only 2 solutions. The preferred one that I use is get extra bodies on the lens I need most. Probably, that would be no more than 3 or 4. An alternate solution, which I don't use, but would consider, is get several cheap lens, that if get some damage, dust, scratch, would not make me cry.

7. PentaxBronica

PentaxBronica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Look up the Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange Case 200 AW. It's designed for exactly what you want to do.

Only thing is that it's pretty big. It's designed for current top end zooms (the great white drainpipes) so older film lenses will be lost in it!

Now, if they made one about the size of their Lens Case 1S I could definitely find a use for it...

8. LiamG

LiamG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you really need this feature, at the exclusion of much else, I think the best way to go is something like ThinkTank's belt system (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/modular-systems/lens-pouches.aspx). The trade-offs are pretty obvious- it's not really a camera bag anymore, you will look like a sports photographer, and there is always some risk with a system like this.

I try to do multiple bodies to avoid lens changes, but that isn't always a possibility.

9. BrendanCarlson

BrendanCarlson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I am shooting at a wedding or engagement session I carry 2 bodies, 1 has a fast 50, the other a zoom. When I need to break out the wide I switch out the zoom for a wide and put away the zoom without caps. Then when I am ready to switch back I can do so extremely easily and quickly. Caps just get in the way. If you are shooting on a job you should be worried about the shots and not the gear in my opinion. That's just my $0.02.

10. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. BrendanCarlson

BrendanCarlson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Woops, forgot to mention my bag solution!
    I like to use a Timbuk2 classic messenger bag with a camera case insert. Works beautifully and quickly, never had a single issue. Plus, it doesn't look like a camera bag.

12. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can accomplish what you're looking to do with any bag that has lens dividers. The ideal situation is to have hoods on the lenses, put them in slots front down, especially with hoods, the front element won't contact anything. Use rear caps, or not, it's usually fast enough to twist off the cap as you grab the lens. Work with the bag unzipped or latched, if you have the bag top down most of the time, the rear of the lenses will be fine unless you're working in very dusty conditions. And if that's the situation, you may not want to be chaning lenses anyway.
    When things slow down enough, put the rear caps on.

13. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I was going to say something similar as most of the time I carry two cameras. But I'm sure the best solution is this:-

http://i47.tinypic.com/2u7uid4.jpg

14. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm leaning towards the Think Tank, but I'm still not sure if the Neoprene will conform and fit the lenses (especially the smaller ones) better. I guess i could use the Think tank with an insert to hold smaller lenses, but then the question is, how easy is it to shoot with it on and forget your hauling around other lenses?

15. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, I'm giving strong consideration to the Retrospective 30 by think tank... The lens changer is great but it is very one-purposed. With the right configuration of the dividers, I could essentially do the same thing, but have a more useful bag...

16. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a couple of Think Tank Urban Disguise bags, and they are very practical and well made, and quick to work out of. The traditional Domke is also a very practical working bag with inserts chosen for your setup.

17. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Consider a chalk bag(without chalk) used by rock climbers. They're roomy and can be adapted to a belt.
    Stay away from the funny fur lined one, they shed.

18. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I might have found a $12 soloution. At the hardware store they have carpenters pouches (like $20 and suede) or for around $12 they have a cloth one. The cloth is a little rough but has no rivets like the leather and a few trips through the wash might fix that. Uv filter on the lens and rear cap in the respective pouch dividers waiting... Seems like fast access. It's called a finishing pouch, I'll give it a try. And I have a retrospective 30 on the way :smile:

19. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use(d) a Crumpler messenger bag for this purpose, specifically the Seven Million Dollar Home, though you can get smaller ones of course and less garish colours. Holds a 35mm body with grip and medium-sized (24-70/2.8) lens nose-down plus 4-5 other lenses or flashes separated by dividers. Can even fit a 300/4 laying across the top.

Beware carrying a heavy messenger bag for extended periods of time though; the asymmetric load on your shoulders will do your back in.

My 4x5 kit (Toyo 45A and ~10 holders with lenses resting on top) now lives in that bag.

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever bag you choose the secret of doing quick lens changes on the run is practice, practice, practice.