Quick opinions on the EOS3..?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by detune, Sep 28, 2005.

1. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi :smile:

I'm looking at the EOS3 as my return to film camera, just looking for some quick opinions on it..? Am I able to still use it with a sync chord or IR trigger with my studio flashes?

thanks!

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The EOS3 is a great camera, I have several of my friends that use it for a back up to their 1Vs cameras, quite a capible camera, and yes, there is the ability to use with your IR and Studio gear, you may have to by some different accesories to work with this specific camera, but I am sure you would be happy with it, and no, I don't shoot Canon, I have used Minolta for my whole photographic career.

Dave

3. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    aahh great, I considered the 1V but I think it's out of mu budget :sad: so good to hear the EOS3 has a good reputation, thanks :smile:

4. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice.

(Is that quick enough?)

5. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't really know more than that, but I do know that it has a good rep and the folks I know who have one like it a lot.

6. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If I was to go out and get a new EOS body the EOS3 would be on the top of my list. The features and the quality is about the best you will get in that price range.

Morten

7. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yeah cool! this is what i was hoping to hear! gah... time to spend the rest of whats left of my credit card :surprised:

8. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Okay, I'll have to say that I found the EOS 3 to be a total battery hog. I think I only had it for maybe 4 months and paid more for batteries to put in it than I did film.

9. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice piece of equipment, but do yourself a favor, buy a Nikon F100:smile:!

Cheers

André

10. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nikon F100 huh... hmmm convince me!! Can it use my Canon gear...? Same lins fit etc etc?

11. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Nope, you can't use your Canon lenses on the Nikon F100 (or any other Nikon).

12. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    aaahh figured... unless you have some sort of coverter or sumthin like they used on the Corpse Bride....? I believe that was shot on 1Ds II's with Nikon lens' :surprised:

13. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Superb. I have owned 1nRS's and have a 3 and an HS right now.

If you own canon stuff now there would not be a single good reason to change syetems. The 3 is as good as it get in this price bracket bar none. In the opinion of every review I have read, it is a better camera than the f100 and scored higher marks. My only gripe is the more plasticky feel compared to NIkons. Still, the autofocus and ergonomics is in a league of its own.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you still have a relatively small kit, it would be worthwhile to hire a couple of other type of cameras to see what brand you like the best.

Don't lock yourself into a camera system, simply for the sake of an inexpensive lens (if that is what you have). Remember, the camera that works best for you - weight, size, features, etc.- is the one you don't have to think about while taking pictures; leaving you free to concentrate on the subject.

16. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That`s only because Canon Marketing and PR department are much more Westernized than the conservative Japonese Nikon.
    You can buy all the reviews and in that respect, Canon`s market strategy is by far more effective and better implemented than Nikon`s one.
    Have you used FD lenses lately on your EOS 3?:smile:

Cheers

André

17. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Better is so subjective. Canon is far more advanced in terms of lenses it's like night & day. Nikon makes great product but so does Canon. Canon is more willing to develop cutting edge optics & Nikon tends to follow their developments.
    If you have Canon there's certainly no practical reason to change unless you're keeping up with the Jones'.

18. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    well its turning into a bit of a mission to get an EOS3 in my country... and I'm too impatient to wait on ordering one from the US... I've also been advised the EOS 30v is actually a good camera, I just need to get an IR trigger for my flashes or one of those little hub things for sync chords.

19. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If the EOS3 didn't require you to pay GST when it came in through customs (I've forgotten what the tax-free price limit is), shipping from the US is surprisingly fast. I've ordered lots of stuff from B&H in New York, and it's always arrived within 5 working days to Wellington.

20. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yeah I was lookin at B&H, just gonna try this place www.progear.co.nz first and see what happens there... The price for a body is pretty much the same as from B&H with postage.

21. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    gah.. thats it.. looks like no new EOS3's in NZ... :surprised:
    in fact I just got told they've been discontinued :surprised:
    well I ordered a 16-35L and an IR trigger so I'll sit on the film camera decision for a while. Looks like if I want a 3 new I'll have to order from B&H... (or somewhere overseas).

22. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yay!!! just bought a 2nd hand EOS3 body, can't wait for it to arrive n start using it :D aaaaahhh back to the film world.... :cool:

23. Ralf

Ralf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep me posted -- I just did the same, yesterday. Bought an EOS 3 body. After some quite frustrating experiences last year, like buying a digital and returning it after 2 weeks to the dealer and having my Rollei 6008 II stolen, I decided to go "back" to a 35 mm.

24. detune

detune Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    well I got my first lot of prints back a short time ago, using my 3 L lens, 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 IS and also using a polarizer while taking some snaps of my car in the sunset.

Every picture was exposed perfectly!! I was sooo happy after coming back from digital!!! I was freakin out about having horribly under/over exposed pictures as I find the meter on my 20D to be REALLY in accurate...

and unlike with digital, wide is reeeeaaaally wide :smile:
    and unlike my 20D, every shot was pin sharp :surprised:

only problem I had was some dark shading in the corners at full wide and when using the polarizer...

But yeah, I'm loving the EOS3 :smile:

25. mario Ag+

mario Ag+ Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome back to film! The EOS 3 is a great camera for re-entry,good built quality and acurate metering(as you've already found out) .Enjoy!

26. Ralf

Ralf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    detune, tomorrow I'll pick up my EOS 3, and I certainly do hope my first roll of film will give me the same joy you seemed to have!

I read a lot about the acurate metering of the EOS 3, and though I very much enjoyed using the Gossen, I certainly don't want to meter manually with a fast-action thingy like the Canon. Anyway, not while I'm shooting b&w 99%, where I (and the film) don't have a problem with a slight under- or overexpure.