R09 One Shot

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by darkroom_rookie, Feb 24, 2012.

1. darkroom_rookie

darkroom_rookie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Was this batch of R09 made by Connect Chemicals Production & Services in Vaihingen/Enz?

R09oneshot_bottle.jpg R09oneshot_label1.jpg R09oneshot_label2.jpg

2. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This, along with all other RO9 one shot/adox versions of Rodinal is made by Agfa and re packaged for the seller. It is rodinal in all respects bar the name, sp use Rodinal times/instructions.
    Richard

3. Oscar Carlsson

Oscar Carlsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And do remember that time and instructions should be considered starting points rather than unbreakable laws. When using R09 I'm usually overexposing by 2/3 of a stop and underdevelop by 15-20% of the recommended time. Works for me.

4. darkroom_rookie

darkroom_rookie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So, no matter where it comes from (Calbe or Vaihingen/Enz) it is reddish and not yellowish as the Agfa Rodinal from the 90s? Does the color simply change from re-bottling and re-packaging or is there a more subtler, chemical difference? I am asking all of this in order to choose the best developer with original APX 100 in 120 format intended for sharpest possible 45x45" RC prints.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No Calbe's version is an older formulation as Calbe were once part of Orwo. RO9 was the Agfa forlual number Recepte 09, R10 is also a p-Amininophenol based developer.

Ian

6. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Calbe formulation is sold as APH09 by Adox, and is the pre war formula of Rodinal, as is the Foma ro9, and is reddish brown, but it is just as good and keeps just as long, use the same time/dilution as Agfa product, the earlier aph09 was diluted at 1/40, but is now 1/25/50.
    Richard

7. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My head hurts, so much confusion. Old formula, original formula, but not the same. ???? :sad:

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's all because John of J&C registered the Rodinal trade name in the US, he then tried to pass off rebottled Calbe R09 as Rodinal in packaging that mimicked the Agfa newer formulation, even the colour & typeface matched. As a result no-one can use the trade name in the US.

Ian

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  9. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Old formula means the one published after WWII. Agfa has changed the composition in the course of years. The last Agfa formula is the "original formula", Calbe produced using the "original formula".

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you mean the last Agfa formula is the modern newer version, it's not the original.

Ian

11. piu58

piu58 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes. But I found no differences in my films using either formulas.