RA-4 Paper safelight

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by jscha, Dec 12, 2009.

1. jscha

jscha Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I spoke to my RA-4 Paper supplier recently (Fuji + Kodak) and got an interessting tidebit, where he mentioned that the sensitivity gap of the new papers (the "digital" papers) is not the 590 nm anymore but 620 nm, and I indeed have problems with blue casts on RA-4 with the safelights on. (Osram Duka 10)
    Anybody else observations on this?

cheers
    Josef

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use a Thomas Duplex with the color filter set and it works fine without fogging. I've never tried the Duka lights.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The spectrogram on the Kodak web site showed no change the last I looked.

Also, if it did change, the response to film would be quite different. Therefore, I doubt if it has changed since I last looked. I suggest you do so and compare the old and new papers.

Kodak suggests the WR 13.

PE

4. jscha

jscha Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hm, this was basically the answer I got when I asked what the difference between the "new" RA-4 papers and the old ones is. (keep in mind that this was from a reseller, not Kodak or Fuji)

More sensitivity whith that shorter exposure times, but the tradeoff was that the paper is harder and the sensitivity gap shifted.

I dearly hope that the blue cast i observed was from something else but the safelights (which have worked on the same settings in the same darkroom without any cast before)

will be after christmas that I fire up the Thermaphot again, but will report back......

5. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If you are talking about the new Supra VC, Kodak states there will be shorter printing times, higher contrast, and a cyan shift in the highlights when printed from a traditional enlarger.