RA4 paper negative in C41

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by EASmithV, Oct 19, 2009.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would this even work?

What exactly would happen?

2. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will get a color negative image but it may have dye stability and hue issues because of different CD. RA4 paper is something like 5-6 stops more sensitive to blue than to red, so I think you should use a warming filter even when using incandescent lights. Red layer is on top and probably there is no UV filter, so attach a UV filter to lens.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use a heavy red filter that would convert a tungsten film to daylight and also add about 50R. Expose at ISO 25 or less and then use regular RA chemistry! You will get a paper negative.

You can also get a positive print by cross processing in a first developer, stop, reexpose and then the regular RA process.

PE

4. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You have poor latitude so it's imperative to get good color balance in the negative. Anything off gets weird fast. C41 developer gives nothing with paper last time I tried.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And the spectral sensitization of RA-4 is not optimized for `the real world´, but for transmission of the image dyes of C-41 film.

6. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go to the reference in the other thread ongoing about this subject. The posted work of Bujor B. taken in-camera and reversal processed is quite striking.

PE

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but I referred all to the other thread here on APUG which has more discussion.

Bujor B. used a "cross" process that was similar to one I had devised back in that time frame and published on PN. It will yield quite good positive "prints" from in-camera exposure and prints from slides if done carefully.

PE