RA4 papers Kodak Endura Premier and Fuji Crystal Archive

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Rollei fan, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Rollei fan

Rollei fan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I print RA4 at home, using Fuji Crystal Archive (sheet sizes) and Kodak Ektachrome chemistry. Processing in trays at room temp. I have been more or less happy with the results.

Browsing through various sites I noticed, that Kodak Endura Premier has become available in some sheet sizes in Germany (http://www.nordfoto.de/). Some people say that Kodak papers have more brilliant colors than Fuji CA. In fact I have missed Supra Endura, just for that reason. So I am tempted to try Kodak Endura Premier, but I would appreciate other users comments, so:

Has anyone used both these papers? Opinions? How thick is Endura Premier compared with Fuji Crystal Archive?

2. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If Kodak paper is available in sheets That would get me back from Fuji. I have tried both in the past but I never have been really happy with Fuji. The Fuji base is getting a bit thin as well is this something to do with machine printing, As far as I am aware Kodak is available in the UK but only in rolls designed for machines

3. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Endura from Nordfoto comes in white boxes - wonder if Ilford is cutting the rolls down.

4. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nordfoto started to cut sheets from rolls a while ago. AFAIK there are several companies in Germany which are able to cut down rolls, no need to send it to Harman.

5. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be interesting to see what your process is and to see some examples of the reversal processed paper.

PE

6. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe someone should tell this company and the others in Germany you mention to contact some U.K. mail order retailers such as Silverprint, AgPhotographic and Process Supplies. There would be a demand for Kodak cut sheets here in the U.K.

It doesn't surprise me that at least one entrepreneur has decided to cut Kodak rolls. It is a business opportunity waiting to be exploited.

pentaxuser

7. DarkMagic

DarkMagic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I buy my Kodak RA4 Cut Sheets in white boxes with yellow label. 50 Sheets a box from www.macodirect.de

And the price is extreme low, as i see it.

8. tim elder

tim elder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently bought a box of Endura Premier from the rental darkroom I use and I have been very happy with the results. I just bought it and have only used a few sheets, so I don't have much to say about it, other than that I like it a lot and that it's got stronger contrast and more saturation than Fuji Type II.

Tim

9. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ultrafine cuts and repackages Kodak paper, but I don't know if they are using fresh stock and cutting and packing in total darkness.

10. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just received over 1000' of endura premiere 11" wide f surface, expiration 1/14. I have a roll paper cutter and can cut to any size. PM for details if interested.

11. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let us know how it compares to stock cut sheet supra endura, if you can. That's the standard for comparison, I think.

12. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Kodak Professional Endura Premier is the most recent incarnation of Kodak's RA4 process paper, supposed to be optimized for both optical and digital printing. I haven't seen it on sale anywhere yet. Where did you find it, frotog?

13. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The key is whether or not they are refrigerating. I drove out there about 14 years ago from LA Basin. It was like one of those office parks with roll up corrugated metal door type establishment. Didn't seem to be the type of operation with a refrigerated storage. I may be wrong.

14. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Premier replaced Supra Endura VC approx. a year ago. The Premier product works well - no weird crossovers, incredibly bright base, and a real black (compared to the fuji ca). I get my paper and a lot of my chemistry from PDI supply in Rochester but any kodak distributer will get this for you. Currently I'm up to my ears in 11" F surface and would gladly cut some 11x14 sheets for any APUGgers who express interest. My automatic roll paper cutter set up operates in complete darkness - no safelight needed.

15. Rollei fan

Rollei fan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to try Endura Premier, but it is a pity that they are not cutting larger sheet sizes. I would like to have 20x24 inch and with lustre surface.... Nordfoto has only glossy paper in 2 sizes.