ralph gibson book recommendation?

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by temujin, Jul 12, 2007.

1. temujin

temujin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hi all - when i first came across some of the photos from ralph gibson's "deja-vu" on the george eastman site awhile ago, i was blown away. i wanted to get the book, but the only copies i could find online were going for a billion bleeding dollars. i am not familiar with any of his books which are currently in print. can anyone recommend a good (and more affordable) one - preferably mainly his b&w work, but i would be interested in the color stuff if you think it is "must-see" material. thanks.

2. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    'Deus ex Machina' is a very good compendium book with almost all of his projects represented, including a few that never made it to prime time, such as his 'Black Kiss' series. It is in the Klotz format, so it is very thick. I think Klotz is German for brick, btw.

3. Gim

Gim Subscriber

I also highly recommend 'DUES EX MACHINA'. An excellent book with a great overview of his work and some comments by Mr. Gibson.

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    L'Histoire De France
    Infanta
    Days at sea
    Sonambulist
    You've already got Deja Vu on the list.
    Gibson also published some collections under Lustrum Press you might find interesting:
    Nude : Theory
    Landscape : Theory

Histoire De France is color work & the Theory books are collections edited by Gibson. There are more available but I have not seen them.

5. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You may like his recent mostly-text book "refractions"

GO TO YOUR LIBRARY

even if they don't have them on hand, you may find they can get them for you

I like quadrants and histoire de france but i have several & can't say there's one I dislike