Rangefinder newbie.Or"just got me a Canon VI-T!"

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Red Robin, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The journey begins, I intend to try the one camera-one lens for a year. After using slr's & a lot of auto I know this is going to be a learning experience of the first order, but here goes! redrobin

2. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    doing the same thing at the moment but with a Kiev 4a, plus learning to develop B/W film on my own too, in it's first month now, with two rolls finished. still learning the quirks, both the rangefinder specific and the Kiev quirks :smile: one thing for sure it's certainly different from my previous SLR's, it's definitely quieter, slower (Knob winding) and feels more compact (both compared to an F2 and EOS 3)

3. photoncatcher

photoncatcher Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah Dave. The Kievs do have their quirks to be sure. But I love mine, and also my other FSU Rfs. I have one Fed2, and two Zorkis (a 4, and a 4k) I rotate through them. Luckily, the Fed, and Zorkis all use the same lens mount. I only have one lens for the Kiev.

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It's been a long road to get here , found a camera w/lens that I could afford on the bay, had already ordered a jupter-8, wrong camera! Had to send it back. Lens arrived, no camera. Today all the planets are in alinement. Now I have two 50's the right camera, lots of film and I'm in no mood to hold out trying to find a 35 lens I can afford. I read about you getting into processing your own Neg's. Color or B&W. Did you get a kit? Which one?

5. paulfish4570

paulfish4570 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The kits have a lot of stuff you don't really need. You can get everything for developing film but a reel and tank at Walmart, Dollar General or such.

6. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    it's my favorite camera right now but the thing that bothers me most right now is the uneven negative spacing, making it difficult when printing and scanning. only got one lens right now the jupiter 8M, but hoping to get a jupiter-12 soon, the only two lens i planned to have.

in my case, only B&W, after researching color processing for me is to much hassle, while with B&W you can have leniency with the temperature and timing. the stuff i used is second hand from the guy i bought the enlarger, also some stuff i nick from the kitchen (to be used exclusively of course!)

7. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  9. Red Robin

Red Robin Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Has it been so long. .. ... Well now my VI-T shairs a case with the 7, and all the slr's. MY users are now 3 canon P's a sweet little IIs2, an older III. These fun to use Canons sometimes shair the glass with my Bessa R. Handy having LSM lenses.Sometimes I have an urge to use an Slr(YES ON AUTO) but find that if I pick up a rangefinder shoot a roll or two , well that Slr DOES go away. Best to all. RED R.

10. Red Robin

Red Robin Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dollar General? Walmart?

Paul, I,ve got the tank, the reel. what chemicalsdo I need? Color? B&W? It's getting too pricey at the drug stores and most seem to be pulling the plug on film processing anyway.

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here where I live (Richmond, Va) Costco still develop C-41 at a very good price.

Jeff

12. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF