Rate the Nikon F90s

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had posted earlier about my search for a faster focusing/motor drive than my F60.Might have a deal on an F90s.
    It would be nice to hear from members who use this camera.

Thank You

2. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used this camera for a number of years before upgrading to an F100. Well built and ergonomically sound. Autofocus was quick and used a wide focus area instead of spot focus areas. Accurate metering, although not up to the standard of the F5. I regret selling mine and I'm on the hunt for another one.

3. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have run several hundred rolls of film through mine. It's been to 4 continents and several countries and has yet to let me down. I love it.

4. ijsbeer

ijsbeer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    great camera. never let me down. experience til minus 22 with lithium batteries.
    go for it I would say
    unless, you could get f100, f6 for the same price

5. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    i have both the 90 and 100, and favor the 90 and use it more often.

6. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have one, and with the grip it fits perfectly. It's sturdy, meters very well and the wide autofocus is very nice. I'd been pondering an F5 or F100, and I think I'll just stick with my N90s.

7. ehparis

ehparis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The N90s is hard to beat for any purpose where a 35mm camera is suitable. It focusses smoothly and quickly and is ergonomically a pleasure for most people to use.

8. Richard Kelham

Richard Kelham Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Provided the subject is well lit and contrasty then the auto focus is fast and (generally) accurate. If it's dull or hazy forget it. I often switch my F90X to manual focus to stop it hunting back and forth – I think this is a generic AF problem, not one confined to the F90X.

Otherwise, yes it's a good camera, quite chunky with the battery pack, but ergonomically sound. Works well with the SB26 flash unit too. At the sort of prices being asked nowadays it would be a bargain not to be missed!

But I still prefer my F3....

Richard

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the F5 and F100 a lot better. The autofocus is much more sensitive and easier to use.

That having been said, the cost of the F90 and F90x these days is extremely low. You get a lot for your money. Especially if you've not been spoiled by the F100 and F5, you'll find that these cameras are extremely fun to use and very capable.

Try one out!

10. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have one Mike. I like it. I bought it and then jumped onto a couple of F100s. The N90s is nice, but no match for the F100. I could be convinced to sell it (with or w/o MB-10).

11. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love mine. I prefer my F-100, but the N90s is a very nice rig. Well designed and built.

Kiron Kid