rb67 back repair

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by nwilkins, Mar 14, 2013.

1. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    okay i have had no luck with the issues with my rb67 back so I'm looking to send it somewhere for repair. Anyone have any recommendations?

Also I am getting worried - are the 120 backs disappearing off the market? Will I potentially have to sell the camera because of the back problem? Seems crazy! If anyone on this forum is hoarding 4 or more backs and is feeling generous/altruistic I'd be happy to buy one from you :wink: I love the camera and I want to keep making photos with it.

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For some reasons, RB stuff is harder to find than RZ stuff.... I don't know why.

But, backs are still plenty available at usual used camera spots, including KEH, Adorama, and B&H. I spoke with Mamiya USA's tech support just recently. It still repairs RB stuff if you want to take that route. What's wrong with yours??

3. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    my back has on occasion produced a mysterious flare-like image, sometimes fails to start counting frames when closed up, and is also somehow scratching the emulsion near the top edge of the film.

since I started having problems in the last month or so I have been watching keh, adorama, b and h and even ebay and it seems like RB 120 backs have basically disappeared, and when they do appear they are going for a crazy price.

4. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a ProS back from KEH. They have one up right now for $80. As far as I can tell on KEH, thats about the going price for the ProS back. Good thing about dealing with them, if you have problems, they will work on replacing it for you. You won't get that support on EPrey.

5. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    will a bargain grade back be fully functional for a while or on its last legs? KEH might have a great return policy but they have a terrible shipping policy to Canada. So that $80 back might be $160 or more when all is said and done.

6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have purchased backs of all grades from all 3 vendors I mentioned above. They all came fully functional EXCEPT almost all had light leaks. They were all good about returns/refunds but I have to admit, it was a frustrating experience finding one that worked right.

They all paid for return shipping though.... (even for an attempted repair)

7. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    okay thanks tkamiya. I checked and KEH wants $60 for shipping, so with tax and purolator brokerage fees that $80 is getting on to $200 pretty quickly.

8. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    THAT MUCH?

9. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    as far as I can tell $60 is a flat shipping rate. I once tried to buy an RB67 lens hood from KEH and they asked for $60 shipping.

But I don't want to derail the main subject here, which is my request for repair place recommendations :smile:

10. Fast

Fast Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had good success buying from keh - certainly haven't paid that much for shipping to Manitoba. Shipping prices always seemed reasonable to me.

11. George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure where you are in NS but Camera Repair in Halifax is still in business. I've never used them so can't say anything about them other than they've been there a long time. Might be worth a call.

Camera Repair Centre Ltd
    2324 Hunter St, Halifax, NS B3K 4V6
    902-423-6450

12. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Fast,

I just asked the system to calculate shipping to Winnipeg and it said $60 too. Did you get a salesperson to figure out shipping manually somehow?

13. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks George, I already tried them and it doesn't look like they can do the repair. they suggested buying another back.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Flare - likely one of the tiny screws in the tiny holes is missing - gaffa tape fixes that, check which by opening back and holding against light where the screws are.

Or seals are gone - easy diy fix with some black foam and the right glue and stanley knife.

In regards to frame counting - yes that's a bitch, open the back as if you were gonna load film, see on the seem on the top part where that little metal tongue thing sticks out, that isn't being pressed in enough, it's a bit out of alignment inside, what you can do when winding the film is press extra hard over that spot when winding film on till it hits 1, or attach something there or on the back where it touches that part to push it in a little more.

AN RB back looks like a swiss watch inside, even with the repair manual, I just looked at it, and put it back together without attempting repair.

16. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm wondering if someone can do me a favour? If you have a working rb67 120 back, can you open it up, and look at the rollers on the exterior casing, the ones that keep the film against the pressure plate. Please tell me if they are relatively flat against the exterior casing wall, or if they are extended up away from it. On my back one of the rollers is slightly elevated from the casing. I wonder if this could somehow be causing the scratching, having a roller edge dig in to the film slightly?

17. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    4 backs, I'm curious how you came to that number. I can tell you that I won't even consider going out of the studio with less than 5-6 backs for anything serious. Substitute a Dicomed FieldPro for one of those from time to time, but still, 4 backs?????

I think Paul Ron works on backs and bodies as well as lenses, drop him an email, he's a user here, so a quick search should find his info.

18. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess to someone like me (owner of a measly 3 cameras) 4 backs seemed like more than enough. Perhaps I should have said if anyone has more rb67 backs on hand than they realistically use regularly and is feeling generous, I sure could use one!

19. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking at mine. A roller on the side where the winding lever is SLIGHTLY higher than the pressure plate. This is consistent in two backs (of Pro-S type) I have. I also checked one Pro-SD type. This one has both rollers slightly lower than the pressure plate on both side. I then checked my 6x8 power back. The lever side roller is higher than the pressure plate.

20. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks Tkamiya. just to be clear you are talking about the tiny rollers on the exterior casing right? Not the big rollers on the interior, on either side of the pressure plate?

21. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm talking about the latter. Wrong one by your definition. Sorry. Rechecking...

22. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's the image.

The thin rollers are raised above the dark slide. This is consistent between two Pro-S type I have.

Attached Files:

23. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    okay thanks. on one side mine is like that but on the other side it is a good 1-2mm further away from the dark slide on one end. I suspect that it might be what is causing the scratch.

24. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is a back I got free with a 120 roll adapter with GG for a 4x5"

Check these areas as well as seals
    [​IMG]

I've put small squares of gaffa tape under neath the missing screws, an one over the corner that's missing a bit.

[​IMG]

25. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks athiril

26. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm having hard time picturing (imagining) how this roller thingy can be that far off from the darkslide. On mine, it is held by a pair of black clips on both end which is screwed into the frame by tiny screws. Is your clip bent up? Is the rod bent? Does the roller actually "roll?"

That ought to be an easy fix, I think??

I'll be glad to take as many photograph of mine for comparison as you need to get you going....