rb67 favorite lenses and tripod

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by avandesande, Dec 7, 2005.

1. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just got a pretty clean body off of ebay. I am wondering what lenses you get the most use out of, and a good tripod for the beast. I want something light, rugged and easy to use (all diametrically opposed attributes).
    BTW I have wanted one of these things since I was a teenager, unfortunatly they cost almost 10x more than they do now.

2. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome to the RB club. You're right in calling it the beast but what a beautiful beast it is. I've owned my RB since '84 and its been a workhorse for me. It even suffered a fall of 10 feet and still worked for a year or more before I finally had it fixed.
    What lens do you want depends on what work you do? I had only the 90mm for most of the time and just got to use a 180mm. I do alot of close up work, landscape and figure. The 90mm is still my fave!
    As to tripod? I use my Ries J100. It's my cross over tripod for both the RB and my 4x5. The tripod is great. Not the lightest thing but I don't travel too far from the truck when doing any field photography.
    Just remember to use the Mirror-up for your RB. Theres nothing like the "Chur-Chunk" of the RB firing but it took me sometime to figure that mirror sure makes awhole lotta shaking and why my negs weren't sharp!

3. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am coming off of lugging a c-1 around, so it is hard to imagine that the RB is going to be that heavy. RIES are great but I am looking for something made out of modern materials, and not so expensive.
    I have never used wide angle lenses but I don't think I will get much use out of one here in NM, the vistas are endless. A 50 might be nice for close-up though.
    Anyone else with ideas about focal length in the southwest?

4. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I had an RB for a few years and used it mainly for figure work... The 180 was the best lens for me bar none.

I had a 50 and 90 and used them sparingly... While the 50 can add some dramatic look to the stretched foreground, I think the 65 is a little more practical.

Personally, if you're not a wide angle guy... I'd start with a comprable lens to what you HAVE used and expand from there...

Good luck,

joe

5. Hero!

Hero! Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    My RB has been lugged around NM since 1972 equipped with the 50, 180, & 250. I also have the Komura 2X teleconverter, but I've never used it. I like the "near-far" approach to landscaping, so the 50 is my lens of choice for landscaping NM. For a tripod I used the Bogen 3031 which comes in at around 9-10 pounds, & it's never allowed an unsharp image in the August storms. The Bogen is also great for fighting off wild dog packs and being the center pole for a make-shift tent.

6. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do not own an RB. I own an RZ. I have a 4.5 50mm W, 3.5 75mm L, 4.5 140 macro, and a 4.5 210 Apo. Each of the lenses has proven to be highly satisfactory. The same lenses I believe can be had for an RB.

I have a Majestic 2051 tripod. It has been completely satisfactory and it is tougher and easier to use than a mean, riled up mother in law.

I believe that lightness is a quality that is far down on the list of qualities needed in a tripod.

The tripod I would have chosen had I had I then had the funds would have been a Reis J 100 like you know who has.

7. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It seems that metal tripods in the same weight rating aren't any lighter than wood. Maybe I will get a berlbach. Nobody seems to have the one with the built-in ballhead, that seems like the best one.

8. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    the bogen 3051 and 127 lens....i like the camera and have had it for 15 or so years, bought it used...recently used it for some jewelry ad photos...also a good portrait set up, recently got the much acclaimed 180 on e bay so am looking forward to using that one...the negs have always been excellent.

9. m_liddell

m_liddell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The RB is a great camera and I use mine more than any of my others. I have the 90mm and 180mm. I shoot mostly landscapes and I use the 90 probably 80% of the time. Despite what I have read from some people I wouldn’t want a lens shorter than the 180 for portraits other than full length. For tight headshots the 250 would be nice. I can see myself ever wanting the 127mm.

As for a tripod I have an Manfrotto 055 with 029 head and I feel this is hefty enough. This along with filters, the RB, lenses, light meter easily fits into my lowepro mini trekker but I really wouldn’t want to carry it more than a couple of hours.

Make sure you get the C or KL lenses. Both mine are C but I’m curious to see if there is any practical difference between the results produced by these and the KL series.

10. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I only have two lenses, the 127 and the 65. I use the 65 most and its a great lens. One piece of advice I can give you is don't take your RB swimming.

11. Phil Woodney

Phil Woodney Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a 65, 127 and 250 and probably use the 65 most of all for landscapes. The 127 with an extension tube is my second favorite.

Phil

12. erickson

erickson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only have the 90mm on my RB. I had the 127mm for a while, but found that it wasn't quite wide enough for my uses (close-up and landscape). My next lens will be the 65mm.

My tripod is a Giottos MT9170 with an older Slik 3-way pan head on it. Many Giottos tripods have those nifty extension/boom arms that are great for lightweight 35mm cameras. Forget about using any such thing with cameras as heavy as the RB67!

13. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Robert, there's probably something messed up in the centrifuge friction. The RB has counter-rotating masses and almost no mirror shake. That said, locking the mirror is always a good thing in critical situations.

I currently have this setup: 50mm C, 127mm C, 180mm C, 360mm non-C.

I can't say but good things about the 50mm (except distortion), absolutely of great use. I bought it to replace the 65mm which was "never enough" (as opposed to someone else said) and in my very humble opinion not sharp as such.

Same thing for the 127mm, which replaced an older 90mm (I tend to prefer longer focal lenghts together with asymmetric design in the "normal" area. Though, the 90mm non-C was quite as good).

I strongly suggest the 180mm instead of the 250mm, because having had one and having it used for portraits it requires unconvenient full bellows extension in most cases for head shots, and even more than that sometimes (children etc.)

The 360mm is nothing special (probably because other factors are usually involved when taking photographs with such a long focal, like fog or shake) but it's a great thing to have such an amazing focal length available in mid format when you need it.

Manfrotto 028 "Triman" with 229 head for me.

14. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How do you do the mirror lockup on this thing? Is there a manual on line?
    thanks

15. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You pull and turn the M/N knob on the lens' barrel. By triggering the shutter button, the mirror goes up but the shutter won't move. At this point, you can fire the shutter with a standard cable screwed in the M/N knob.

16. Elox

Elox Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There used to be manuals online at www.mamiya.com/customerservice1.asp?id=3&id2=115

I know the Pro-S & Pro-SD were there.

17. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Regarding lenses, my favorite RB lens is the 140 macro. I find that it's excellent at just about everything that I want out of a longer lens, and it's fantastic up close. (Hint: leave the floating element at infinity when you're shooting portraits for a touch of soft-focus at the edges of the frame...not enough to overwhelm the image, but just enough to nudge the eye back to the portrait itself.)

For a tripod I use the Berlebach 4032 (the one with the integrated levelling ball head). It's not as light as a modern carbon fiber tripod, but it's the same tripod that I use for my 8x10 C1, so it's more than enough tripod for the RB. Given that the RB isn't a light camera, carrying a few extra pounds of tripod doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to me. I love working with a wooden tripod for the way it handles vibrations, and the Berlebach has been a real winner for me. (Plus it's reasonably priced...never a bad thing.)

18. big_ben_blue

big_ben_blue Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can only echo that - the 140 is certainly the jewel in their lineup. My lenses for the RB include a 65, 90, 140, and 250. Granted, the 250 was more of an impulse buy and its implications not really thought through (read - it needs LOTS of space for anything other than very tight head shots).

19. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    dont forget to put it back when you return to N (normal) shooting ! I did this once, and once only :rolleyes:

the RZ has a better system which I actually shoot - in terms of lenses I have the RZ 50mm, 110mm and the 180mm ...

I know you can get 50mm and 180mm in the RB range - both good - the 110mm is the fastest in the RZ range, not sure if there is an RB version tho - I like them all and tend to rotate them and appropriate subjects on a regular basis

20. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Now, that's a good hint indeed! :smile:

21. Stuart

Stuart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the rb-s with a50mmm-65mm-90mm-127mm and a180mm all are C lenses.
    I find myself useing the 65mm more than the others but I take a lot of landscapes.
    The 50mm is not as sharp unless stoped right down IMO.The 127mm is good for all
    body shots and the 180mm is great for head shots but can be a little heavey when handheld.The 90mm is a great allrounder and is especially good for macro when used with the extention tubes.
    I also have the manfrotto 055 which is very versatile and suports the rb with out trouble.
    I keep all my gear in a lowepro dryzone 200 especially out in the field because
    it don´t like wet conditions the lenses lock up when wet.
    I hope I have been of some help and have a great RB experiance it is a wonderful
    tool.
    Regards
    Stuart.