RB67 How much lens is too much lens

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Jeff Searust, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I am doing some macro photography with my RB67 and wonder if there is any problem connecting both the #1 and #2 extension tubes along with a 180mm lens on the front of the camera... this seems like a whole lot of weight. Could I put a 100-200mm on the front of the extension tubes? how much weight on the front of the camera is too much weight?

2. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The camera more than likely wil not be a problem.. it;s your tripod that will have issues with so much front weight.

You can take off the load using a support under the lens.. that will also make you feel better about the lens mount.

3. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I know, 100-200 ZOOM (even by itself) must use the support bracket, or else you risk bending the rack and pinion mechanism.

4. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    The 100-200 comes with the bracket, but the physics of the movement lever of a 180mm on the front of both extension tubes is much greater than the 100-200 without tubes-- I just wonder if there is a known point where I need to be careful of bending something. I guarantee it won't be an issue for my tripod.