RB67 Tripod recommendation Bogen 3051/3021?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by gphoto120, May 13, 2011.

1. gphoto120

gphoto120 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    RB67 users....what tripod are you using/suggest for landscape use? Would a Bogen 3051 be too cumbersome, or maybe a 3021 a better choice for portability and still stable enough for most conditions?
    Thanks

2. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Manfrotto

3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I picked up an Induro AKB-2 about a month ago, about the same weight as my Tiltall but much more convenient to use. It's rated for MF, but strong enough for my Cambo SC II. It has QR leg locks, ball head, three position leg spread w/locks. Comes with carry bag and strap that works for both bag or tripod alone. Priced lots less than the Manfrotto's. Only point I dont like is no spiked feet, they're an accessory.

4. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just got the 3021 legs with a 410 head. It is an amazing setup. It will easily be able to hold the rb. Lots of people use the same setup for LF

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only crime in this international discussion is that there are Manfrotto part numbers for the whole world except for the US, where the same parts are assigned different Bogen numbers.

Kind of reminds me of all of the analog TV 'standards' that popped up in the 50's and 60's decades before worldwide pre-recorded video tapes and home machines became available to consumers.

6. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just picked up a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a 808RC4 3-way pan head. Plenty stable enough for my RB and durable enough to last for years.

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For carrying on my back, I like the Bogen 3030 (no longer made). It sets up quickly, as all three legs open at once, and it uses rocker locks instead of 90-degree flip locks. It does not weigh a lot, but it is solid. It feels much lighter than my 3036 or 3051, but about 2/3 to 3/4 as solid. I never should have sold mine, but I got a great deal on a 3036, which is better for my view camera. Like many tripods, they sell for peanuts on the used market.

It's weakness is that it cannot get that low to the ground. You need an attachment to do that.

8. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a Manfrotto 055 with a 488 head+hex QR plate adapter. Plenty sturdy since the body's weight doesn't have to shift for landscape/portrait changes.

9. jpreston

jpreston Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 and feel it is a good balance between weight and stability with my RB. My ball head needs an upgrade, though...

10. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Manfrotto/Bogen 3221 legs with 3030 head. I find it plenty stable for my RZ67 Pro II.

11. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Bogen 3021 is enough for my Mamiya RZ. I head leaves something to be desired so I bought an Arca Swiss ball head for it. I like to Bogen 3051 for the feature of being able to release the legs with the lever near the head, but it's to heavy to carry when I hike. I use it with my 4x5. Believe it or not, before I bought my 3051, I used my Bogen 3021 for my Sinar F. It's a little wobbly when I insert the film holder, but steady enough to make a shot. It's a great tripod. From the 20+ years owning it, I've replaced 3 leg locks on it.

12. Buje

Buje Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Bogen 3021S with a Slik 800 ball head for my RB Pro-SD. The shorter legs of this tripod are no problem as I always use the waist-level finder. I don't have to get on my tip-toes to look down into the finder. Stability is not a problem

13. Citizen_Erased

Citizen_Erased Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Bogen 3011 with a 3025 three-way head. It supports the RB just fine. The only downside is the tripod is a bit on the heavy side.