RB67 Vs. RZ67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by lewis-richards, Aug 5, 2010.

1. lewis-richards

lewis-richards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am thinking of buying a new medium format camera, I was originally going to have a bessa III however after reading reviews I don't feel it would be as well suited to me as I thought. I am wanting the camera for landscape mainly. I have used both an RB and RZ camera however I liked them both very much. I have one question about the RZ however is that should I go for the ProII or the ProIID as I only want to film so is there much difference as is the ProIID mainly aimed for a digital back attached?

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RB vs. RZ: I love my RZ, but I only got it because it came along for the right price. I'd be just as happy with an RB. The things that I think are much, much better with the RZ are the single-action advance/cocking, the 110 mm 2.8 lens, and that fact that the RZs will take both RZ and RB lenses, while the RBs will only take RB lenses. Having the shutter speeds on the body is a minor convenience, and the backs not having as many seals is great as well. Having intermediate shutter speeds on the RZ Pro II must be nice as well. I would search for both, and take whichever comes along first for the right price.

Pro II vs. Pro II D: I would just get the Pro II if you want to shoot film only, however, if you can get the Pro IID without paying much of a premium over the Pro II, why not?

3. lewis-richards

lewis-richards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think there is a big difference in the price of the ProII and the ProIID from what I can find out on the internet and I was originally only going to be going for the ProII. Having a camera that can take both RZ and RB lenses would be good as much more a selection of lenses would be available.

4. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd search for an RB. The lens issue (plus the 6x8 capability) are big pluses.

5. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The RZ offers totally automatic exposure control via the prism viewer/meter. The RZ also offers coupling of the ISO speed between the body and back, so when you change backs, the ISO is changed. I sold my RB and then got the RZ.

PE

6. lewis-richards

lewis-richards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    one of the cameras can go up to 6X8 aswell?

7. ContaxRTSFundus

ContaxRTSFundus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is little practical advantage in going for the over-expensive D version of the ProII - especially if you are not contemplating a digital back. The only real benefit of the D is that it can take a digital back without the need for an adapter plate. I have both the RZ and RZ ProII and have an Imacon iXpress digital back to augment my film backs - so you can enjoy digital on the RZ67 without buying a ProIID. The only thing to remember with the ProII versions of the RZ is that the earlier AE Finder is not compatible without a change to its circuitry (no longer possible) and the PD Finder can't be used at all (according to the ProII manual). I also have the very rare AE Focusing Hood (brilliant accessory!) but have not tried it on the ProII - but logically none of these RZ Pro finders would be capable of recognising the half-stops of the ProII. All academic of course if you prefer to use a hand-held lightmeter....

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The RB, but you need the accessories to do it, and you don't get to frame the shot entirely on the GG.

9. lewis-richards

lewis-richards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah right I think I so far prefer the idea of the RZ rather than the RB. I didn't think you could make the ProII have a digital back. Mind you im not that interested in having a digital back.

10. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I considered both and got the RZ. That 110 lens is sweet, and I don't want to have to CLA the mechanical timers every few years. The AE prism makes it really easy to use, too.

11. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing to consider - you cannot get new spare parts any more form Mamiya for RB's - I haven't checked about RZ's, but it may be worth checking...

I've used both - I prefered the RB's, but that was a personal preferance - both are good picture takers....

Then again for what I shoot I would get the Fuji/Bessa rangefinder....

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andrew:

Mamiya USA still has repair services listed on their website for the RB67 ProS and RB67 Pro SD. They do indicate, however that services are subject to parts availability for some components of the RB67 ProS model (but not the more recent version).

They also indicate that the RB67 Pro SD is still available for sale.

13. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both. I like them both.

Main reasons for the RZ: the 50 uld and the 110/2.8. A little bit lighter. Single stroke lens cocking and film advance.

Main reasons for the RB: 6x8 back, operation without battery, and much more favourable prices on new lenses and peripherals.

Note that the newer (KL) RB lenses are as good in all respects as the latest RZ lenses, but the lack of a fast normal (110/2.8) in the RB lineup is a big deal for some people.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. goldenimage

goldenimage Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really enjoy my RB, i just have the pro model, and i only use it for portraits,the lenses are cheap cheap, i have the 127 C and the 140 macro, razor sharp both of them. i have never shot an rz, but both cameras are professional quality so i dont t hink you could go wrong with either. good luck

16. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd go for the RZ. I have one and it's superb. I just have the Pro(I) version, but it still takes the latest AE-II finder fine and all functions work (half-stop speeds, AE/AEL, etc.). The I doesn't lack much - fine focusing knob, half-stop speeds on the dial - that's about it. Id' look for an RZ Pro (I) - cheaper and basically as good as the ProII for what you want.

The 110 is a superb lens. The best in the line I think. 50ULD, 350 and 500 apos are also sweet. RZ is lighter and smaller than the RB, so that's a plus.

Note the 6x8 back is only 74mm wide, so only 4mm wider than the normal 6x7 back on the RZ (70mm).

Can't really go wrong with any of them, but to me I think the RZ betters the RB in many significant ways.

-Ed

17. lewis-richards

lewis-richards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There isn't much difference between the price of the RB and the RZ I don't think and the more modern the camera the easier to fix if anything happens I guess hopefully this won't happen but if it does its always easier to find the newer stuff. One of the things I find interesting is that people would sell an RB and then go for the RZ. I've just ordered from the mamiya website brouchers about the cameras and see what it says in these before I make my final decision on which one to buy. Thanks for the help everyone.

18. Robert Budding

Robert Budding Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why not jump up to a nice 4x5 field camera? Movements are really useful for landscapes.

19. Daniel Taylor

Daniel Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Grab an RZ Pro II, I wouldn't bother too much with the D. I just went out an got one again having been without one for 5 years. Great camera, very versatile. You'll love it.

20. lewis-richards

lewis-richards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have got a 5X4 camera at the moment which is the Shen Hao PTB however I feel I would sometimes like something slightly smaller to use even though the RZ67 isn't exactly a mini camera. But its probably going to take over the amount that I use the ShenHao because of the cost of film and processing without having my own darkroom.

21. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the RB67 which was inexpenvise and it was very easy to use. Just love it.

Jeff

22. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert, RB's and movements aren't mutually exclusive, it just takes some imagination and a few hours of work.

[​IMG]

23. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Attaching a digital back to a 6x7 body is pretty much pointless, since even a 50mm lens won't be really wide angle with even the biggest digital sensors you can buy at the moment. The biggest advantage of the Pro IID is the fact, that it's most likely newer and as a result in better shape than a Pro or Pro II. One shouldn't forget that bot RB and RZ were serious professional cameras which saw heavy use. If you go to a used camera store, you'll be amazed how scratched and dinged some of this equipment is. My used Pro IID was marginally more expensive than comparable Pro II offerings and it looks and works like a brand new camera.

24. Robert Budding

Robert Budding Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    True, but I like the even larger area of 4x5!

25. lewis-richards

lewis-richards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't yet come across any used IID versions yet, http://www.ffordes.com have used ProII's which look in good condition however these come to about £800ish and im sure that I could find them cheaper than that!

26. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like a great camera! Good job!