RB67 with OP/Tech strap, what am I doing wrong...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by peter k., Mar 8, 2013.

1. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking on the web, everybody is in love with these straps.. so I must be doing something wrong...
    There is only two ways it will go on.. up off the camera, or going in the same direction of the camera. It will not swivel.
    Taking off the view finder I can put it on, in the up direction, but it hangs very awkward. Off balance, rear end heavy. (Have 90mm lens) ect ect.. Uncomfortable. On the shoulder, the lens is facing at an angle up ect.

Trying the other way, there is no way it seems that I can get the black insert to 'slide' in, and lock it, with the strap put on in same direction of the camera. But with this set up it 'rides' better, but the connectors are not locked in.

Frustrated.. give me a clue... thanks..
    (yes I have the B clips)

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well.... since the camera itself wasn't really designed to be a portable system, it will be kind of weird. Let me take a photo of mine since I have the same camera and the strap.

3. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here... does this help?

Attached Files:

4. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, you got urs up...
    yeah.. but it is such a well engineered camera, love it, yet... there's got to be a better way to carry it, perhaps in a camera bag over the shoulder, and just set up the strap as a 'handle' to pull it out and carry it, and then shoot with it on a tripod or hand held.
    Was wishing to sling it on the shoulder, but with the strap up.. its to awkward.

5. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a left handle bracket for it and I usually carry it by grasping the handle, not by the strap. It makes it heavier but it's a lot less awkward. It's like a giant 35mm type handling.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a third way - with the lens pointing up.

7. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favorite way to carry the RB is on a monopod.

8. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My favourite atm is the Q Strap. Connects to the base plate of the camera, excellent for my RB set up.. I want to get the dual version for another camera on the other side.

9. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm... so your walking along, holding the camera by the monopod?
    You must be grasping it right near the camera... you do this for landscape shots, where there is foliage ect... with such a 'brick'.. I dunna know...
    Are you carrying it upside down??
    I've used a monopods on other camera's, including my speed graphic, but once the shot, or shots, were taken, disconnected before discovering 'next' location.

10. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Athril, didn't know about the Q strap... that looks more realistic.. for this camera.. and it seems you can get a plate that still allows a monopod or tripod...

11. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt.. I extended the bellows, and tried it, but uncomfortable, afraid I'll injure the bellows.
    Is there some other trick, that I'm not using, in getting the angle of the dangle correct, while making the camera steady, and then pushing and flattening the black plastic lock in, while not pushing it off the 'nub'.
    I'm not usually all thumbs, but in this case, it seems I am.

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree that it is finicky.

I found it necessary to make a few different slight adjustments to the positioning of the connector on the strap before I was able to get it so that black plastic part would lock in.

IIRC, the right side one was easier than the left.

Have you seen the illustrations on page 31 of the Pro-S manual showing the three options?

When I use mine with lens up, I always retract the bellows first.

13. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's a $12 version of the Black Rapid R-Strap :smile: Usually for dSLRs and big lenses, but I find it's fantastic, hang my RB67 upside down next to my hip, very good, just ocassionally the WLF will pop open with a jolt etc.

If I want to run, I can, just slip my hand under the WLF top and grasp the camera and go. It's quite fast to get into shooting position.

14. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep just leave it right on the monopod. Yep foliage, and scrambles up rocks and cliffs, at the beach...

Sometimes the camera sits on my shoulder, sometimes hold it close to the camera, sometimes upside down, sometimes as a walking stick; whatever is easiest and comfy at the moment.

I do the same with my Toyo 45A on a tripod.

Don't get me wrong here, I don't try to abuse my cameras and I make darn sure the quick release is properly locked so they won't fall off the pod, I run the focus back to protect the bellows when needed too, but they are just tools.

The RB was built to be used hard and used a lot. Sure, there are a lot of cameras that are toys or collectors items that may need coddling, the RB is not normally one of them.

15. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This was originally posted by the user fmajor in my RB thread. I'm reposting here because it seemed like good advice

16. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well the computer would not turn on this morning, so its off to the doc's, and I'm now borrowing my wifes. Thanks all for your replies.

Matt.. will have to download the Pro-S version as my manual only shows the old orginal strap on page 16.. tanks for the reference.
    Athiril.. thanks for more info, I e-mailed Q STRAP.. for some more info.. thanks again..
    Mark.. the monopod I have now is very simple, and would not trust the weight of the RB on it in the manner your using it, will look into upgrading.
    Edcculus..sounds what you made was much like the Q STRAP Athiril is refering to... like the concept.

17. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahh computer problems. Formatting and reinstalling everything on one right now.