RC paper construction

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by veke, Oct 1, 2013.

1. veke

veke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The "paper" refers to that it is paper in some meaning. Is it safe to write with ink or with pens and pencils on the wrong side of a rc paper, the white backside, so that the ink does not slowly enter the picture on the emulsion side and damage it? I have Forte rc papers, Hungarian I think and not so well known brand. This rc paper curls quite strongly, the only negative thing I´ve found about it in my work. Does not obey my orders when I say "stay flat!"

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RC stands for Resin Coated, which refers to the base material. That makes it plastic, basically.
    I do not write with ink on any print, so cannot comment on that specifically. My writing is done with pencil only. Pencil does not work well on the plastic base, though.
    Perhaps there is a different solution? I would imagine it matters what type of ink is used, whether it will even stick to the plastic base or not.

The emulsions are similar to those in fiber paper.

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use thin water resistant marker, same one that is used for writing on CD's and DVD's, and no problems so far.

4. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use 8B pencil on the verso (backside) -- makes a dark mark with relatively little pressure.

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Markers that use an organic solvent (you can tell by the smell) may experience "bleed through" and should not be used.

6. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A plain ol pencil is all that you should use to write on the back. Students of mine in the past had used sharpie to sign their names, and after a period of time they bleed through and discolor the print on rc paper. It gives it a murky yellowish, purplish stain.

7. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format