RC papers and hardening fixer?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by MFP, Mar 28, 2009.

1. MFP

MFP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey all,

So from a previous thread I have found out that major BW films do not need hardening fixer. My question is: do RC papers need hardening fixer? Currently I'm using Ilford MG4 glossy paper.

Thanks

2. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My understanding is that RC papers at least don't benefit from it, and hardening fixer makes the print more difficult to tone. I bought some by mistake, and have been using it up on film and contact sheets, where I won't be doing any toning anyway.

3. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon,

If I recall correctly (too lazy to go down to the darkroom to check), the instructions included with Kodak Rapid Fixer suggest not using the hardener when preparing print fixer. Anyway, I always follow that procedure, whether printing RC or FB.

Konical

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No papers RC or FB need a hardener, all it does is increase the wash times and waste water..

Using a hardener can can be detrimental to the gloss surface on some RC papers.

Ian

5. MFP

MFP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ah, good to know, thanks :smile:

6. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It does no harm, but it isn't needed. The emulsion of papers usually doesn't get enough abuse to benefit from hardeners, ans washing and toning go better without hardening.