re-washing colour neg film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by nwilkins, Aug 2, 2013.

1. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello everyone,

I shoot 120 and develop my black and white film at home but send my colour to a local lab. Often it comes back less flat than I would like. I'm not talking about film curl or significant/severe kinks. Rather the film has small waves throughout its surface. Not sure if I'm describing that correctly but I hope so. In any event, I'm wondering if I can just re wash and rehang the film at home, and whether or not that might help film flatness/smoothness. If so could I just wash it in water with a little bit of photoflo, like b/w film?

thanks in advance!

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Substitute Photoflo by current final rinse for colour materials.

3. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    okay thanks. and do you think that will reset the film as it were (ie get rid of any kinks)?

4. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Might help, but not if the film base is damaged/strained....you can only give it a try and see what happens, perhaps with a less important film.

If this happens regularly, you ought to take it up with the lab (or change labs). I also wonder if the "waves" might be some strain from faulty winding in a particular camera?

5. nwilkins

nwilkins Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    okay thanks. I don't think I can blame the camera - my b/w negs are fine, and the slide film (which gets sent to a lab far away) comes back fine too.

6. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't do it honesty. Unless there's something to actually wash off, rewashing usually causes more problems than it helps. Why not just let the film be as it is? The waviness won't hurt anything.