Real Life Experience Developing Delta 3200

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by hblad120, Dec 28, 2004.

1. hblad120

hblad120 Member

Let me start by saying I have searched APUG for information regarding developing times, etc for Delta 3200, but I haven't found much for my particular situation.

While on a recent vacation to SE Asia I decide to shoot a few rolls of Delta 3200 (120 format) at a rated speed of 6400. I shot in high contrast situations hoping to develop with a grainy/textural feel to the fnal image. With this in mind I plan on developing with rodinal. The Ilford site gave times for 1:25 dilution using rodinal, but I don't know what effect it will give as these are the first rolls I have ever shot with this film.

One other piece of information you need to know is that many of the images shot on this trip were about 1/2 to one full stop under exposed. I guess my metering was close, but not quite there in many cases.

Should I try stand development or more conventional developing? What times, dilutions, and agitation intervals would you recommend?

As usual, I greatly appreciate comments from the APUG community.

2. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Delta 3200 is one of my favourite films although I use 35mm largely because the grain is more evident. At 6400 I use Rodinal diluted 1 to 10 at 24C for 12 minutes and I'm happy with the results. However, a word of warning, the negatives are fairly dense partly because of an even base fog because of the strength of the developer and the temperature but it has no significant effect on the final contrast of the print, just longer exposure times in the darkroom.

3. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've use Wimberley's WD2D+ pyro at 13 minutes @ 72 degrees. I was photographing my daughters dancing class. I have not printed but the proofs and scans (gasp!) work good.
    It seems to work fine.

4. etriplett

etriplett Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The massive dev chart (http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html) suggests 20 mins for Rodinal 1+25 at EI 6400 and 11 mins. for IE 3200. Since you underexposed at about one stop I would lean towards a time closer to 11 mins. Yeah I know 9 mins is a lot of slop to play with.

5. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I develop Delta 3200 in HC-110 mostly, but when I want the excessive grain I go for my Hot Rod Wonder. @3200 I develop in 1+25 for 18 min to make the contrast nice and the grain is wonderful. I normally overdevelop in Rodinal with this film because I find the contrast pretty low.

Morten

6. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agree with Morten, D3200 is quite low contrast and by overdeveloping 1 stop it gains a lot of life. (i.e. exposed @6400 develop for 12800)
    Since you are tryung to push 1 stop you'll need to extedn the time to 30-35 minutes

7. Paddy

Paddy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With 120 format my e.i. for Delta 3200 is 400, and I develop in PMK for 12 minutes. Visit Ed Buffaloe's site for more dev./time combos. http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Times/D3200/d3200.html

My images don't come out with the grainy look that you're after, but some of the other combinations listed might provide this.

8. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've used FX-2 for 90 minutes at 24C, stand development: Agitate twice in the beginning, twice at 30 minutes. High base density, decent contrast, good compensation on the night shots (Bessa I camera, 120 film)