Reala blue cast

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Wolfeye, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My last two rolls of Fuji Reala came back from the lab and the processor said they had a noticable blue shift. Anyone know what might have caused this? To my untrained eye they seemed to scan fine... both rolls were shot with a Canon T-90 and various lenses.

2. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's hard to tell without seeing them. The usual cause is that the pictures were taken in open shade, where the light is much more blue. Backlit scenes sometimes have the same problem. With some films, underexposure can make pictures look blue as well as dark. Altitude is also a common cause. Things are more blue above 5000 feet, but since you seem to be in Iowa, I doubt if that is the problem.

3. mts

mts Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Norm makes good points about lighting, but you also need to check on your lab's processing. Did you happen to have exposed an 18% grey card, or better yet a grey card and MacBeth color checker chart on the same roll? If you make a practice of including at least one such frame then you can pick out processing problems more readily. Good labs should run control strips and not have such problems, but even good labs sometimes make mistakes.

4. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Probably just shitty printing.

5. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    No

This is a pro lab. The second roll confirms what they saw - definite blue cast. I will try another roll from my latest shipment from Adorama.

6. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    which doesn't make them immune. If the film's spec is changed, which happens often, the film's original channel on automated equipment, or filtration requirements change as well.