Really old zeiss-ikon enlarger (medium format)

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by elio.petrini, Aug 14, 2009.

1. elio.petrini

elio.petrini Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi everyone,
    i'm trying to find out wich enlarger i have. I found it in my grandparents home, it was used by my great grandfather. That's why i think it must be a really old one. Does someone have a catalogue where i can look at it?
    I will post as soon as possibile a picture of it. The enlarger is black and mount a Rodenstock 50mm, i guess.
    Thanks everybody,
    Elio

2. elio.petrini

elio.petrini Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here are the pictures of the zeiss enlarger and last two are of a Durst that i don't know the name of.

Attached Files:

3. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Zeiss Ikon (no hyphen) enlarger appears to be a Miraphot, which was first made in the 1930s. I have two of Zeiss Ikon enlargers -- for 35mm and for 120.

I was going through some literature yesterday and came across a photo of what appears to be your enlarger. Send me your e-mail address through APUG, and I will scan it for you.

Is this the enlarger with the Rodenstock lens?

4. elio.petrini

elio.petrini Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reply,
    the zeiss ikon mount a novar anastigmatic lens, it's the durst that mount the Rodenstock, i apologize.

5. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What numbers are on the Novar lens? I believe this is a medium format enlarger from the 1930s. It should keep its focus as you move the entire unit up or down to change the size of the enlarged image.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks pre-WWII, I just went to look in a 1935 BJP Almanac but Zeiss don't list an enlarger. Try the Zeiss catalogues on Photoeccentric.

Welcome to APUB BTW

Ian

7. elio.petrini

elio.petrini Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It does keep the focus. I like it.
    The lens says 1:6,3 F=13,5cm and the number is 1311425.

@ Ian: thanks for the welcome! I can't find the Zeiss catalogues... actually, i can't find Photoeccentric neither.

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My mistake, it's CameraEccentric :D

There's two Zeiss catalogues listed.

Ian

9. elio.petrini

elio.petrini Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interesting site... thanks!

10. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes, that's a medium format enlarger, and still quite usable.

The enlarger bulbs are no longer made, so I've converted my enlargers to use flourescent lights, which is fine for black and white.

11. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Oh wait, that should be usable for 120 film and for other negatives up to 6cm x 11.5cm and even 9cm x 12cm, because it's a 13.5cm lens.

Zeiss Ikon's "D" cameras (6x11.5) used a 13.5cm lens. I think the 9x12 cameras, such as the Maximar, Miroflex and others, used either a 13.5cm lens or a 15cm lens as the "normal" optic.

12. elio.petrini

elio.petrini Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The enlager bulbs are no longer made? So if my bulb breaks, what should i do?
    Anyway it seems to be a normal opaque bulb.

13. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have the instruction sheet for Zeiss Ikon's 35mm enlarger -- the Magniphot.

I believe that the bulb you want is a PH211. You should be able to still buy them. I recall reading that they aren't being made anymore.

It was very easy to convert the enlarger to fluorescent.

14. elio.petrini

elio.petrini Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh, i know why, at least here in Europe, they are out of production because they are not environment-friendly. But i heard that there are similiar bulbs with a different technology inside, not with the incandescent filament anymore.
    But if i should convert the enlarger, i just have to remove the old lightning system, put a new one trough the hole, and isolate it from the outgoing light, right?

15. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The ceramic socket is probably original and should be replaced. The wiring should be replaced too, because 70+-year-old wiring could be dangerous if the insulation has dried and cracked.

I think they stopped making the bulbs, because demand had dropped. It cost them more to make than what they got in sales (no profit). No profit = no product soon.

You want the instant-on fluorescent bulbs, not those that take 30 seconds or longer to be fully bright.

This part is very simple. The fluorescent bulbs generate very little heat. Get a piece of translucent plastic and make a small shroud that will sit inside the enlarger head.

I'll send you some photos to show you what I did with my Magniphot. It works very well, and I've had no problems with uneven coverage.

Years ago with an Omega enlarger, I once tried a regular light bulb, and the writing that was on the light bulb was also on my print! I then removed the writing, and then while setting up the enlarger, I could now see the filaments in the light bulb.

16. elio.petrini

elio.petrini Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know that for enlargers must be used only milky-white opaque lamps, for avoiding that. :D
    Anyway, i would be pleased to receive photos of your magniphot, because i guess it's better to change now wire and lamp... and do not wait until i get shocked...