Really Right Stuff BH-25 Head

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Richard Wasserman, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am putting together a lightweight 4x5 kit for my upcoming trip to Guatemala. I will be using a Toho camera on a Gitzo G1228 tripod. Does anyone here have any experience with the RRS BH-25 head? It is rated at 8.8 pounds, which is more than adequate, and only weighs 6.5 ounces. I know that it is probably technically too small, but for my special application will it work adequately? If I wasn't trying to save as much weight as possible I would go with a more robust head, but I will have more gear than just this camera and I don't want to be overwhelmed by it all. Thanks

Richard Wasserman

2. Robert Budding

Robert Budding Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd opt for the BH-40, even though it weighs an additional 10oz. It also will support 10 additional pounds of weight.

3. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just bought an Acratech with the rubber knobs for my Toyo field camera. It is very light and rigid. I am pleased with it.

4. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I recently bought a Kirk BH1, after researching heads including ready the RRS site. I've never used a RRS head so I can't offer a comparison but I can heartily recommend the Kirk head.

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I own the Kirk BH-3 head. It is lightweight and very strong. I've had a Hasselblad with prism and 250 lens on it. No problem.

I did previously own the BH-1 head and it easily held my 4x5 monorail.

Kirk makes a fine product.

6. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town. I'm sure the Acratech and Kirk heads are very nice, but they are significantly heavier than the RRS BH-25. The 10 ounce difference is equivalent to one of my lenses or even a bit more. I will be carrying quite a bit of gear in addition to the Toho, so I am trying to save as much weight and bulk as I can. I'm not backpacking, but I do have to move everything I bring and when I am at the site the actual dig is a fair walk from the living area. Plus this is the tropical rainforest we are talking about here. Think a lot of heat and humidity. The camera with a lens will weigh no more than 4 pounds which makes me think the RRS head might work and could be worth a try. I guess a phone call to them tomorrow might answer my questions.

Richard Wasserman

7. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You'll want to check with RRS soon since they don't always have heads available for purchase. I had inquired about one last december and they didn't have one to sell me. I went with arca-swiss instead and now have to deal with the worst customer service i've ever seen.