Reasonable amount of time

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Rick A, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm hoping this is the correct place for this, if not please move or delete.
    What would anyone consider a reasonable time for something (supposedly) shipped from Canada to the USA? I've been waiting for two months for a box of Ilford 8x10 paper and some Rollei film purchased from a member here. I've sent numerous PM's and recieved zero responses from him. I understand its "caveat emptor" when ordering online, and I've contacted PP for help, as that was the means of payment. He has closed his PP account. I am about to name names, as this person still frequents Apug, tho he has closed his LFPF account. I am just wondering, is two months too long to wait, or does it take that long or longer to recieve things from the land of the frozen white north?

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two months is ridiculous. Unless it's being hand delivered by mounties.

*Always* insist that an item is shipped by a trackable method and insist on tracking info.

3. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd give one week for seller to find time to go to post office.
    I'd give two weeks for shipping and custom clearance.
    I may give one more week if I can contact the seller and get assurance that it has been sent.

I *think* at two month, you have been more than reasonable waiting..... Having no reply to frequent PM is inexcusable.... especially when the seller has enough time to long in to APUG and participate otherwise.

4. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'vr gotten stuff from Henry's in Toronto to down here in DC in about 14 days roughly.

Is this the same person that stiffed someone for a camera in a current thread?

Be nice if we could rate seller/buyer experiences somehow.

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sometimes there are reason for long delays &C.
    have you tried an alternate email address, or contacting by phone ?

john

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2011
  6. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    It's too long. It takes a MAX of 3 months to send something from Australia to Europe by ship.
    Name names so we can avoid this person. It's no good other people getting stiffed too.

7. onepuff

onepuff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I live in the Scotland and have bought quite a number of things from the USA over the years. Longest I have waited is two weeks - and that is by economy international post. This sounds like a con and you should complain to paypal as I'm sure they share some responsibility as an agent for this person.

8. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Way too long and yer only in PA. What CanPost service did they use to ship the paper and film ? Also wonder if they might have filled out forms incorrectly which sent the package elsewhere ?

Good luck and keep us informed.

9. lns

lns Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my experience, Canada post takes a week or less to the US. Two weeks would be the outside. I'm guessing you've figured that out, if you've already called Paypal.

As I said in the camera guy's thread, I really think if you're going to mention it at all in the forum, you should name names. Because otherwise it creates a sense of suspicion about all the classifieds. Also, naming the name might light a fire under someone who has had this on the back burner for too long but is actually an honest person. Maybe he or she forgot your name or address? Or can't find the package? I know I'm reaching, but there could be something.

I'm sorry about this. I hope it's just one of those things that got buried on the bottom of the pile, but will be made right.

-Laura

10. Markster

Markster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If I learned one thing by socializing online.... It's that Canadians will be the first to deplore the Canada Post (or whatever the official name is). It sucks.

I just waited 2 weeks for a used camera body. Annoyed as I was, I wasn't surprised.

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think you deserve some sort of explanation from the seller.

It would be good if people with problems like this can notify the moderators, and then we can figure out if a number of people are having problems with the same person, and even though APUG regards transactions in the classifieds as arrangements made between individuals for which APUG can't take responsibility, in practice, we can often help sort things out. When we've had difficulties like this, it's usually been a matter of ineptitude or sudden illness or something along those lines, more than malice. Sometimes we have access to contact information that the user has kept private, and we can contact them directly off forum, if necessary.

12. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a national past time, kinda like complaining about the weather and government :wink:

Xpresspost is pretty quick if you ever buy from Canada, paperwork is easy and shipping is trackable. Faster than USPS Priority Mail from my experience.

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ask the seller what the tracking number for the parcel was.

If you didn't pay for a trackable option, then neither you or the seller will be able to confirm anything.

Does the seller have a copy of the receipt confirming that he paid for shipping?

And as for complaining about the post office .... it could be worse, they could be the banks.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is the main problem though, from Canada the trackable options are quite expensive. I just tried to sell something and got zero interest due to high shipping. I could probably get 'surface' shipping with no tracking for $10-12 but then it would be anybody's guess.

16. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your interest.

The last PM I recieved from samuraiwarrior2 was that he was going to ship my items "tomorrow" that was on 1/6. On 2/7 I became concerned, and started to send PM's and got zero replies from him. Now, I would like you all to know, he listed these items on another site, but is a member to here as well. A moderator from the other site attempted to contact Thomas Young on my behalf, still no pesponse. He was last here on 2/7, and hasn't shut down his info here, but he has on LFPF, this is my last resort. He claimed he needed money for tuition at UBC (British Columbia)so I purchased the items in good faith. I have even tried to corespond with him in several other ways, still nothing. I am seriously frustrated.

Many of you know that I am on a fixed income, and this purchase put a serious kink in my photo budget for a while. This has also caused me to be reluctant to purchase anything more from my neighbors to the north, no offense friends.

There you have it, I apologize if I offended anyone.

17. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you payed by PayPal then you should be covered. I had an issue with an eBay deal that went sour. I informed PayPal and my money was returned.
    Hope everything works out OK for you.

r

Mats

18. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While something does seem amiss here, to add to the anecdotal experience:
    I in the past five years have had delays in package shippments between my end, soothern ontario and the us midwest. For some reason, unknown to me, surface parcels regualrly took three weeks to ship. East and West coasts were always under 14 days, but west of chicago to the rockiy mountians, well, the twilight zone seems to come into play for me.

19. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Mike. Right now, Paypal is "looking into" the matter. I think two months and no replies speak volumns about this charactors intentions.

20. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Things happen... but being ignored and closing of PP should be "your sign".
    To make you feel better I fired a contractor with $3000 in his pocket. Lick your wounds, have a pity party for a day and move on.

21. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Before Paypal put all the buyer protections in place I had purchased a set of strobes on ebay. The seller never sent them, but I tracked him down from the name given to me in emails and saw that he was a photo lab manager at Duke University. I tried calling him at his office number listed on the university's website, but "he no longer worked there". Apparently he was selling school equipment on ebay and either ran off with the money or got fired. I never got my strobes or a refund.

22. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, you think Canada has a higher per centage of crooks than the US or the rest of the world?

23. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not at all, its just easier to track down miscreants here in the states. I have had one other deal with a Canadian, took several monthe before he got off his duff and mailed a camera to me. At least he stayed in contact. Now you know the why of my reluctance.

24. Paul VanAudenhove

Paul VanAudenhove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would say anything over a month would raise a red flag. I generally allow for about three weeks for a parcel to get to me from the states, so I would imagine it would be about the same going the other way. The time to worry is when the seller stops responding - as has happened with you.
    I hope it all turns out ok in the end.

25. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you everyone for your concern and good wishes. I think I just needed to vent in public about this fellow. I was a starving college student once upon a time, tho I never did rip anyone off, I worked and attended classes. God bless all, and thank you again, especially those who sent PM's and offered special help(and a little private eye work), it is much appreciated.

cheers

26. moose10101

moose10101 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    PayPal is not likely to find in your favor after two months. Their deadline for filing a non-receipt complaint is 45 days.

If you funded the payment with a credit card, you can dispute it with the CC company if PayPal turns you down.